Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerBook will not turn on

I recently purchased a powerbook 5300c for my apple collection. It did not turn on, so I ordered a charger for it. When the charger came in I left it plugged in for about an hour and a half. It still won't do anything. Please help!

PowerBook, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 5:16 PM

4 replies

Nov 20, 2013 6:10 PM in response to Matthewlopez

First of all, you may want to use a multimeter to check that the (45 W) power adapter is capable of supplying 24 V DC out (the centre of the low-voltage plug is positive, the outer ring is negative).

A bad battery can put a heavy load on power circuits. A further check could be whether or not the PowerBook turns on with the battery removed.

Are there any signs of activity (a startup sound, any other sounds, or a green light)?

See also the article below for how to reset the Power Manager.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1781

Jan

Nov 21, 2013 7:45 PM in response to Matthewlopez

Hi,

There is a standard problem with the low-voltage input jack in the PowerBook 190 and 5300 models. The solder joints underneath the connector block work loose and need to be resoldered. Information about this can be found on the Internet (try a Google search for PowerBook 5300 disassembly). Disassembly takes some time, but the repair is not really difficult if you know how to handle a soldering iron.

Jan

PowerBook will not turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.