Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to play music from my present CD library?

I have an extensive collection of fine music on CDs and DVD. How do I play music on my iMac 27" with Mavericks without having to buy more unneeded discs from iTunes? Find nothing in Apple "help" not my book on Mavericks. Apple doesn't have as much interest in selling fine computing equipment as it does selling goods from the iTunes store.

Mac OS X (10.5.5), My 'other computer' is a PC

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 6:34 PM

5 replies

Nov 20, 2013 7:01 PM in response to Hawaii Bill

Hawaii Bill wrote:

Apple doesn't have as much interest in selling fine computing equipment as it does selling goods from the iTunes store.

Not true, personally I have never purchased any music from the iTunes Store and have over a 160GB of music from my CD collection in iTunes.

I have an extensive collection of fine music on CDs and DVD.

You can easily Import your CD collection into iTunes.

If you have a newer iMac that does not have a built-in Superdrive, you can use most any USB External Optical DVD Drive to Import your CDs into iTunes.

You may even be able to use your PCs drive, see > DVD or CD sharing: Using Remote Disc

Or move the music from your PC, see > Migrate your Windows files or system to your Mac

Nov 20, 2013 7:47 PM in response to den.thed

Well, be patient with me. I'm an old dude though I have about 40 years experience with computers, back to Z80 days. This is a current iMac 27" with Mavericks that is heavily used for processing of large format NEF images (from Nikon D3x) and giving very good results. A musician friend of mine in California is working with me to build a web-site promoting our local (in Hilo, Hawai`i) Japanese Garden for a centennial we will seek for 2017. So I need to send him some sounds.

I am very much uninterested in sending my recorded music to iTunes. I do want to just put the CD in my computer and listen to it which works fine. But the files don't send as attachments. The screen just seems to be sitting there thinking about it and nothing happens.

The cd inserted, a screen pops up with musical notes showing the numbered name of each piece plus the .aiff folloing.This is not that different, I would think, than sending large photo .jpg files, for example. The CD I'm presently trying to use has short flute sonatas in .aiff format. So I wrote a short e-mail saying I was trying but have decided I don't know how to do it. (Using Oceanic TimeWarner cable for our computer modem to internet). Have two books on Mavericks and find even less on music in the slim Apple and iTunes help. So, I repeat, in this function, Apple has sold me a catalog that perhaps makes it necessary to involve iTunes in the process. I don't want multi-gigabytes of my music on iTunes. I have on 100 or so CDs. Perhaps I will need to somehow change the file-type before sending it along.

So, do you send your music tracks to others via e-mail? With Mavericks? If so will very much appreciate any tips on which keys to press to do it as I am out of guesses.

Thank you and Aloha

Message was edited by: Hawaii Bill

Nov 20, 2013 8:40 PM in response to Hawaii Bill

To stay within the law, your best bet might be make a copy or save it in iTunes and send the original CD to your friend.

Well, not quite. Sending CD tracks to a friend is, frankly speaking, against copyright law unless it is a home recording of your family chamber orchestra or whatever since pretty much everything else is very likely copyrighted. Even placing a copy of the tracks in iTunes and sending the original CD to your friend isn't legal since having the CD is essentially your sign of ownership of the right to listen to that CD (you do not own the music, just the right to listen to it; otherwise all you own is a piece of plastic). Your rights to listen are pretty restricted and don't extend to sharing music with friends unless they are in the room with you listening to your copy. I'm not trying to come down heavy but the terms of use of this forum specifically prohibit providing help and if Apple decides the topic is in violation it will remove it.

How to play music from my present CD library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.