Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro or Mac Mini for Logic Pro X

Hi I currently have a Mid 2011 Macbook Pro 13' with 16GB 1600Mhz RAM and a 500GB Hybrid Solid State Drive. I use Logic Pro X heavily to the point where I get crazy CPU spikes and cant work with Logic Pro smoothly anymore. (Note: I only have around almost 20 tracks and I get these spikes, I've been doing much research to reduce this but still no luck.) I can't work with freezing tracks as well due to the Logic Pro X bug that unfreezes all the frozen tracks when pressing CMD+Z. Now I really think I need to upgrade my mac. I'd want to save as much money as I can so I was thinking of the 2.3Ghz quad core i7 Mac Mini?

What difference does the regular Mac mini make with the mac mini with the OSX Server? Do you think the $799 mac mini, when paired with a 16GB 1600Mhz ram and a 7200rpm HD work wonders for me in my music dream? Should I still go for the macbook pros. As far as portability, I think both are portable and I won't have any problem with both. When it comes to the screen, and keyboard and mouse, I have no problem in buying them individually. All I really care about is if it could handle what I want it to do at the cheapest price possible. I can't move away from the mac beacause Logic Pro X is pulling my leg.

If you guys have any recommendations please feel free to comment.

Thank you very much 🙂

Logic Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 6:09 PM

6 replies

Nov 20, 2013 6:51 PM in response to Shadiel

Ok.. a few points..

A Mac Mini is really much the same as a Macbook Pro without the screen and keyboard.. but for a lot less money...

The Mac Mini Server version is identical to the standard Mac Mini with OS X but on the system disk is the Server App which you must run to activate the server functionality. Dont run the server app and the Mac Mini Server is just a mac Mini running normal OS X

Instead of freezing tracks.. have you tried Bounce in place... ?

Overloads can often occur due to using internal audio or... the Audio interface you are using and its (poor quality) drivers.. Are you using one? if so, which>

If you are getting overloads with that Macbook Pro then a recent Mac Mini will probably not improve the situation for you... The fact you are getting overloads could be how you are using Logic.. what plugins you are using.. what else is running ion the Mac and so on.. What processor does your MBP have. The newer Mac Minis can have faster more powerful i7 quad cores which effectivelky gives you 8 cores to work with and that can help reduce loads...

Note: Often starting from scratch with a clean Mac and just installing LogicPpro plus plugins (and not using it for anything else..) can speed things up anyhow...

Nov 21, 2013 3:39 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Does that mean that I don't really need a Mac Mini with the server and if ever, just the regular quad core mac mini?

My fear with bounce in place is that if I am going to have to edit the track again, I won't be able yo.

I am using an audio interface, the Tascam US-1800. The thing is, even when i'm using built in output I get the errors.

My macbook pro is only the 13 inch i5 2.3Ghz. In my logic pro I only get 2 bars in CPU/HD thing which means only 2 cores right? Why does an i5 only have 2 core 😟 I can't believe it only has 2 cores 😟

I use Izotope Ozone, the Exciter usually. Using Waves CLA Vocals most of the time, De-essers, Wavestune if needed. I use Amplitube for guitars which I say demands sooo much CPU power paired with NI Alicia Keys and Omnisphere for Keys. Then we have around 8 tracks for drums where I usually use drum replacement for the Kicks and Snares. Lotsa Volume automation as well.

Starting from scratch seems really tempting but scary 😟

Macbook Pro or Mac Mini for Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.