Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to recover QuickTime recording!

Hello all,

Would love some help! Took a screen recording I'd reallly like to recover. I was taking a screen recording for work, and was in a rush, and believe that I closed my laptop before stopping the screen recording. When I opened my laptop back up again, there was a dialogue box (that I don't recall what it said), and then the screen recording tool looked like this: http://imgur.com/JvJPANa .

I really really hope there's a way to recover this recording, and as of right now, I'm not sure where the screen recording might be even if it saved somewhere.

Any help would be so appreciated!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 6:58 PM

9 replies

Nov 20, 2013 8:11 PM in response to jrivero1

It *may* be in a temp file, but for sure, if you closed the lid on the laptop and slept the machine before the recording sessions closed, the file will be truncated.

FIRST, you need to go get the program OnyX: http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php - you are going to use this to make the invisible tempfile folder visible.

Once you've gotten the correct version for your OS, launch it.

It will want to check your hard drive - just cancel through that - since you are only changing the Finder's visibility settings.

You'll get to the OnyX bar and it's this: (though not black, that's just my theme setting)

http://home.comcast.net/~foodandart/MacForums/OnyXBar.jpg

and you select the Parameters option, that is third from the right. Once into that, you go to the Finder button, and down to the box where it says 'show hidden files and folders'.

http://home.comcast.net/~foodandart/MacForums/OnyXParameter.jpg

Check that. Right off the bat, the application will warn you to not have any other apps handling, files. If anything is running, stop them. The main thing is that there isn't anything happening with the Finder at this time. If everything's all set, apply the setting, the desktop and all your files will blink out and when they come back in, you will see ALL the system files in your computer.. DO NOT MESS WITH ANYTHING!

Go ONLY where you are suppposed to - there is a REAL reason that hidden files are hidden and you can blow your system out of existence if you mess around with those files.

Leave OnyX running and just minimize it - you'll be back to it in a few minutes.

Now go into your hard drive - at the root level - and you want to look for the /private/var/folders and inside you *should* find a file with .mov at the end of it.

This is the video file. Move it to the desktop.

(If you do not see it, that means the file is gone. As long as you haven't shut down since this happened, it should still be there.)

Once you've done this, go back into OnyX and un-check the 'show hidden files and folders' and it will do the blinky thing and you should be all set.

Good luck!

Deb.

Nov 21, 2013 11:01 PM in response to Deborah Terreson

You are seriously awesome for helping me through this, and providing such thorough and clear support!!

I tried your steps above, and found no file. So I thought, maybe, I should shut down Quicktime (since I've left it on that frozen Screen Recording screen I took a screenshot of), so that if there was a file to save, it might appear after shutting down Quicktime. I shut it down, and when I opened it back up, the video recording popped up!! Amazing, and yet so simple. Ridiculous as well.

Your help method I'll absolutely employ for future cases like this, and again, thanks so so much for taking the time to help me out! Your support is so appreciated.

Jul 23, 2014 10:33 AM in response to jrivero1

Hi, found this post using a search and I wanted to help in case someone else comes across a similar problem because Debroah's post got me *close* but I was actually able to find the temporary recording in a different folder!

I'm using a late 2011 Macbook Pro with OS X 10.9.4

If you're screen recording fails after an extended period of time (2 and a half hours for me) DONT PANIC, and don't shut down QuickTime or your computer or put it to sleep! Mine gave me the error message "Cannot Capture" or something similar and I thought all hope was lost but using Debroahs advice above and information from around the web here's what you do.

Follow Debrahs post (about getting Onyx to show hidden files) up to where she tells you to go into your hard drive. Instead of looking for a "private/var/folders" go to /Users/[your name]/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Autosave Information

and it is actually in the file "Unsaved QuickTime Player Document" (I think the extension is .qtpxcomposition). To get the move file right-click on the "Unsaved QuickTime Player Document" file and click "Show Package Contents". Inside you will (hopefully) find a Screen Recoding.mov file. This is your recording! Simply copy it and paste it to the desktop or wherever you want to save your video and rename it.

So that worked for me! Hopefully this can help someone who is stuck. Once again, this was using Mavericks OSX 10.9.4. Cheers!

Jul 23, 2014 12:21 PM in response to ejt06002

Ok and wanted to update, after doing that I force-quitted Quicktime and reopened it and the saved recording automatically popped up. As the above poster noted it looks like you don't have to go searching through the hidden folders it should be there when you reopen (if its still there) but if you're paranoid like me you may want to go find it before you force quit.

Sep 4, 2015 5:13 AM in response to ejt06002

Force quitting and reopening did not work for me (early mbp, QT7, yosemite 10.10.5)

For QT7, folders are /private/var/folders via the Go to Folder menu in the Finder. The whole file string for me was /private/var/folders/6b/zn_and a long string/T/TemporaryItems/

6b + the long z string are different for different people. T/TemporaryItems/ is the goldmine.

I found the draft in the hidden folders, but can't open it. Anyone with any ideas of how to open the file? TY!

Trying to recover QuickTime recording!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.