Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exploding battery macbook pro

I've read several Internet articles about Apple's batteries swelling and some exploding in the laptop computers. Would it be safer to just run it on electricity and not use the battery at all? I only use it at home anyway. Here's the article a friend sent me. http://www.zdnet.com/apple-macbook-battery-exploded-7000023425/

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 6:58 PM

It happens, but is not happening to everyone. I plug int othe wall when I can to save using battery cycles, and the charging curuits will prvent overcharging. I still use it on battery down to 40% once a month at least.

As to swelling ... may happen, may not. But seems to be a problem with older batteries instead of current batches.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2013 6:58 PM in response to elainefromaz

It happens, but is not happening to everyone. I plug int othe wall when I can to save using battery cycles, and the charging curuits will prvent overcharging. I still use it on battery down to 40% once a month at least.

As to swelling ... may happen, may not. But seems to be a problem with older batteries instead of current batches.

Dec 30, 2014 3:44 AM in response to Linc Davis

Wow... Whatever you do, do not listen to this guy.

My battery swelled up quickly and burst through the mouse pad. I then started to take the back off to relieve the pressure and it blew right off after just loosening a couple of the screws.

This is a real danger.

Here it is bursting through the mouse pad.

User uploaded file

Here is it once the back cover blew off.

User uploaded file

exploding battery macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.