Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install OS 9.2 on G4 MDD running Tiger

For some reason, though I have OS 9 seemingly installed and visible as a selection in my Start Up Disk, when clicking on it, it fails to start up, and I have to go through the trouble of restarting with the OS X install disc.

So what I'd like to do is to reinstall OS 9 - though I don't know how, exactly. Any step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

I have the OS 9 disc, and the OS 9.1 (or .2?) update disc, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Is this a 'clean install' where one is able to reinstall both OS X and 9 without erasing data on the Hard Disk? I hope I don't have to go through the Carbon Cloner or SuperDuper thing - whatever it is, because I found in the past they didn't do what they were supposed to, or I didn't do it right. I can, however, back up whatever data is necessary (System files) to an external drive.

I need OS 9 dual boot, because my video NLE application is OS 9 only, and my other MDD G4 has developed hardware problems, so I need to switch my projects to the above mentioned G4/MDD computer that doesn't boot to OS 9 at present. It also has a quieter powersupply, which is favorable. (Can I just reinstall the OS 9 without affecting anything else?) I have commitments to finish these projects,and try as I might, I am not at all comfortable or pleased with working with Final Cut Express. My very versatile OS 9 program, Cinestream, is what I'm proficient with.

Note: I have the retail OS 9 white install disc and I also have the model-specific (grey) OS 9 disc, # 3 of 4, Mac OS version 9.2.2, that comes with the MDD set. Which is preferable? I think I had trouble with one of them - the grey one, since it may be scratched and doesn't complete the install process - to my recollection.

Many thanks for assistance!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 8:14 PM

6 replies

Nov 20, 2013 9:17 PM in response to keithgvp

You have two MDD machines.. Does one have FireWire 800?

If so, that machine will not boot OS 9, only run it under classic mode. That may be your issue.

Is the possibility of swapping drives - or simply shoehorning it into the second drive space behind the first a workable solution?

There are a few other options, but we'll have to go off forum for those if your system is that FW 800 - I can walk you through some technical stuff. I just cobbled together a working dual 1.0 MDD and got it to dual boot - get in touch, I'm full up with pointers..

Deb.

foodandart -at- comcast.net

Nov 21, 2013 11:24 AM in response to a brody

I followed the Restore Disc 1 path and ended up with the message, "You cannot continue, there is nothing to install"

I take it to mean it sees there is already an OS 9 version on the drive. However, as mentioned, this version does not boot. Would it seem necessary to delete all OS 9 folders and try again? Perhaps backing these up would be best. What next?

thanks

Also, to Deborah: no, these MDDs are both FireWire 400 machines. They are both OS 9 dual boot capable.

Further advice appreciated.

k.

Nov 21, 2013 12:06 PM in response to keithgvp

Look at the back of your machine:

User uploaded file

If there is a Firewire 800 port, it can't boot into Mac OS 9.

If there is no Firewire 800 port, look at your System Profiler to see if Mac OS 9 drivers are installed.

If not, see if they are available on Disk Utility. If no Mac OS 9 drivers are installed, you can't boot into Mac OS 9.

Unfortunately to install the drivers you must first boot off an installer disc and erase the hard drive, and install the drivers at the time of install.

Then you install the Mac OS X operating system.

Then you restore the Mac OS 9 operating system.

I know it is a bad chicken and egg scenario, but that's how it works. At least you can have more than one internal hard drive.

And Mac OS X on PowerPCs does not support booting from USB either.

Nov 21, 2013 1:02 PM in response to a brody

Thanks, A Brody, we seem to be making progress. There are apparently no drivers installed, according to the Disk Utility report (see image). So please tell me what's best to do: should I reinstall using my OS X Tiger 10.4 disc? (I also have a 10.3 Panther disc, if necessary), and will I then have the option to check Install OS 9 Drivers? I'm assuming I should back up everything I need on this Disk, as it will be erased in the process, but files on other internal drives will not be affected when reinstalling and reformatting this boot drive.

Anything else I'd need to know? Please explain. Also, yes, this is a 400 Firewire machine, there is no FW 800 port, so it should be OS 9 compatible.

I'm assuming I won't need the Restore Disc in this procedure - or will I?

Sincere thanks for your help.

K

User uploaded file

Install OS 9.2 on G4 MDD running Tiger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.