Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with Sapphire HD 7850 mac edition graphics card

So i've recently decided to updagre the graphics card from a HD 5870 to the HD 7850 mac edition.

It has a toggle switch for different firmware requirements of different OS's. It works great when I have it in "Mac OS X/Windows (non-UEFI compliant)" or "Windows (UEFI compliant)" as long as i'm booting into Mac OS X. With the former option i can hold down option to get a boot screen whereas with the latter the monitor becomes active as soon as you're logged in - as expected.

However as soon as i go to boot into windows by selecting my bootcamp drive from the boot menu (switch in position 1 on GPU) it goes to a nice BSOD and i have to force restart my computer. Does anybody understand why this card won;t allow me to boot into windows like my HD 5870 did in this manner?

Secondly, i figured I would try to bypass the boot screen by throwing the GPU switch to position 2 ("Windows (UEFI compliant)") and then go into system preferences and select the windows volume to startup in. However ever since i installed windows i haven't been able to boot in this manner...when it restarts i get an error saying that there is "no bootable device" which makes no f****** sense because i can boot into my windows drive just fine by selecting it from the boot menu.

I feel like since i had to install windows by bypassing bootcamp assistant (directly booting from usb and installing to a clean separate internal SSD) that I might have screwd up the association between the startup disk selector and the target disk...i'm so exhausted of dealing with windows and my mac with RAID drives...so many problems, so complicated.

Any help with the graphics card stuff would be much appreciated.

Mac Pro, Windows 8

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 10:07 PM

There are no replies.

Trouble with Sapphire HD 7850 mac edition graphics card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.