6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2014 10:39 PM by Darkschneider
karine94 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello!

My mail application on my macbook air won't quit and when I try to restart or shut down my computer, I am asked to qui the mail application before... What can I do to resolve this problem?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • gail from maine Level 7 (20,882 points)

Hi karine,

Try doing a Force Quit of the Mail App: click on the Apple, then on Force Quit. Select the Mail app to do the Force Quit.

If you cannot select it from the Apple menu, then click the Option+Command+Esc keys at the same time to bring up the Force Quit window, and select Mail to Force Quit.

Cheers,

GB

• karine94 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you so much! It worked . You just made my day!

YAY! Glad that got you back in business!

Cheers,

GB

• Darkschneider Level 1 (0 points)

This helps... but partially I am afraid.

The Operating system is unable to shut down the computer by itself unless the user forces it to quit. There is something wrong with this program. We shouldn't have to do that every time that we want to shut down our computer I am very upset with that to be honest.. I have just bought a new computer and this is a pain. I can´t even schedule my computer to shut down automatically because it doesn't....

Sorry, but the problem I was addressing was a one-time situation. Occasionally a program will get "stuck" and won't close when you click on the "Quit" command in the dropdown. That is when you would need to use a force quit.

If you are having a different issue, then you need to specifically tell us what is happening, what is runnining when it is happening, what happens when you try to quit the program normally, etc.

Cheers,

GB

• Darkschneider Level 1 (0 points)

Hi GB,

The thing is that there is no too much to tell Mail gets stuck eveytime I swith off my computer. The only info I can give you is that:

- I have 5 desktops

- desktop 1 = shows nothing

- desktop 2 = shows Safari

- desktop 3 = shows Safari

- desktop 4 = shows Mail

- desktop 5 = shows Calendar, itunes, Messenger...

Everytime I shutdown the computer, Mail fails to quit. Everytime I swith on the computer, my desktop move to a diferent position... it is very annoying

thank you