Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I haven't changed anything with my internet for a year but its suddenly slow.

I haven't changed anything with my internet for a year but suddenly my internet is really slow over wifi. I purchased a new Airport Extreme and still no change. I called cox to see if they could help, they really couldn't. THey rest my cache on the modem(so they say). I don't have anything hardwired in my house. I have a wii, PS3, 2 computers, 2 iphones and an Apple TV. Everything has been working alright for the past year. It wasn't until this last month and especially last few days that the internet has turned terrible. I have noticed that items farther away from the airport are worse but that doesn't make sense if the ones directly to it still have pretty bad issues. I bought a new Airport Extreme because I thought maybe my old one was getting slow or was defective. Getting a new Extreme didn't help at all. 😟 Any one have any ideas?

I've reset the modem and Extreme.

I've restarted them both.

Restarted my devices.

I plugged my laptop into the modem directly and I get GOOD speed.

I heard something about switching channels on an Airport Extreme, should I do that?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 10:32 PM

1 reply

Nov 21, 2013 10:01 AM in response to RainboomDash

It is very possible that you may have some form of Wi-Fi interference that has appeared recently (a neighbor with a new Wi-Fi for example) that is preventing your AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS) from providing a clean RF signal.

I suggest you perform a simple site survey, using utilities like iStumbler, or AirRadar to determine potential areas of interference, and then, try to either eliminate or significantly reduce them where possible.

I haven't changed anything with my internet for a year but its suddenly slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.