Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s upgraded to iOS 7, battery reading incorrect and shuts down early

Hello. I had no problems until upgrading to ios 7 recently. Pretty frequently I get the notice about 10% or 20% battery left, and I see phone is often below 5% battery even though it seems there should be more juice left. When I plug it in for a second, the percentage jumps up by anywhere from 10-60% up to the correct level. If I don't plug it in, it dies until it's charged again. And when I charge it to reboot, it reboots at a high percent of battery. This is a huge inconvenience if I'm away from a charger for a few hours since the phone won't turn back on, because it thinks it has no battery left when it actually does.

Any ideas on what to do? The most recent software update didn't help, and I've done the hard reset plenty of times to no success. I've also closed all apps to try and isolate the cause of the program but have not figured it out. I'd rather not buy a new phone, since this one worked perfectly fine before I upgraded the operating system. The linked photo shows my problem clearer. Help!

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2ufq8ad.jpg[/IMG]

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 6:33 AM

5 replies

Nov 21, 2013 6:55 AM in response to alexvd

Did you already try to set it up as new device without using the latest backup?

How to back up your data and set up as a new device

If your battery life goes back to normal after that, try to restore from the latest backup. If it get's worse again, your backup is damaged.

After the last update of iOS6, some users had problems with their mail accounts. Mail tried to connect to the server over and over again, causing the battery to drain faster than before. Deleting and setting up the account again solved that problem in most of the cases. Same for other social media apps.

Nov 21, 2013 7:22 AM in response to Ingo2711

I was hoping this was a documented problem with an easy solution... I have not backed up the phone before. There have not any issues with the mail accounts or other apps, but I do have a bunch of apps that need updating, I'll do that first to see if an app was causing the problem. Other than the battery level fluctuating, everything else works without a problem.

Forgive my ignorace, but if I reset the phone as a new device without restoring a backup, do app purchases sync across multiple phones, or is that only associated with the app that is backed up? I've got several paid apps that would be a pain to lose because I added a new device.

Nov 21, 2013 7:55 AM in response to alexvd

You can transfer your purchases before you restore your device:

iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer

But you can also download your purchases again for free, if using the same iTunes account.

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBooks Store, and iTunes Store

Just as with every other computer, backups are essential can be useful in case your phone does not work as it should.

How to back up your media in iTunes

iCloud: Backup and restore overview

iPhone 4s upgraded to iOS 7, battery reading incorrect and shuts down early

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.