Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searching in Finder gives no results on Mavericks. Spotlight is working.

When I try to find something by searching in Finder (I am typing in the find space), nothing comes up at all. It doesn't matter if I click on a folder or "This Mac", it is all empty.

This problem occurred after downloading Mavericks. My spotlight is working just fine. Before I downloaded Mavericks, I used this feature daily. Now, I can't use it at all.

This is what I am seeing. Help!

User uploaded file

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9), Finder Search Empty

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 6:47 AM

14 replies

Jan 3, 2017 1:49 PM in response to Madhavrao2510

I'm having the same problem with useless search results (zero) in Finder in El Capitan. Obviously, Apple has fixed nothing. But this reply that suggests repairing disk permissions is even funnier since Apple has since removed that features from the disk utility program. The only possible way to do it now is through the shell (ah progress for a GUI that "just works") or buy a 3rd party program. I never really believed in repairing permissions anyway. There would have to be one set wrong that had something to do with your issue. Getting no results is something wrong with the search feature. I get results for the entire computers, but since I have my external drives set to not be indexed, it can't find anything on them and that's ridiculous. It should still be able to do a manual search when you ask for it. They got rid of all "busy indicators" in El Capitan as well so you can't even tell whether it's even attempting a search or it already gave up. OS X (macOS now sadly) used to be so much better and faster. It's a shame.

Mar 1, 2014 6:25 AM in response to Cheerit

I am very disappointed on Mavericks: The finder truly is a basic feature. I do not know if I have the same Problem: When using the finder I get a kind of "frozen" screen with the file names, any further info is missing and I cannot open any file!

User uploaded file

The finder totally lost it's basic purpose to finde files... also Spotlight becam much less reliable.

Thanks for discussion!

Mar 11, 2014 2:43 PM in response to Cheerit

I am having the same problem, even after rebuilding the search index (which we shouldn't have to do, btw), When I'm using Spotlight from an "Open File" dialog from within an app, I cannot find any results.

May 28, 2014 12:34 PM in response to Fexei

Same problem.

Agree, totally disappointed with Mavericks.

So messing, so slow, and not works as expected at all….

Missing so much Snow Leopard, best OS ever.

What Apple wants to be for the future? It’s appears that Apple wants to be only an old history of triumph, but not looking for success, anymore.

No respect for users, no marketing… Not an great company?

Jul 23, 2014 10:24 PM in response to Ricardo Gurgel

I'm so glad to hear someone else point out the superiority of Snow Leopard to any Mac OS since. With each subsequent version, it has gotten more bloated, gimmicky and less useable. Apple seems so eager to make changes, they have adopted second-rate solutions to previously solved problems (case in point Tags versus Labels, and any recent version of iTunes). It is disheartening when Apple "improves" things that used to work with things that don't.

Aug 30, 2014 9:23 AM in response to Cheerit

Hey all,

I was having the same problem trying to find a solution but no solution is out there worked. So I just download the Yosimite Beta and everything is working as normal and faster. It comes out this fall so its probably 90% complete with out bugs.

I installed it 24 hours ago and no problems along with spotlight working, preview, mail search and time machine works which many had problems in Maverick.

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/guide

Apr 16, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Cheerit

Search in Finder, OS 10.9.5* is hit or miss. Searching a folder for [name includes] "slide" (or just "slide) returns no results. However, a search for .psd pulls up "Home Page Slide.psd".

*Apple's new interface designs for both mobile and desktop are so ugly that I'm waiting until I absolutely have to to update.

Searching in Finder gives no results on Mavericks. Spotlight is working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.