Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac G5 won't start up

Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz June, 2004 2GB RAM 1GB HD

Will not start normally. Typically, crashes on startup with the "You need to restart your computer" power button graphic and kiss of death message.

If I connect an external startup drive, hold down option, and wait for the options to appear, I can choose an external startup drive. It started twice this way, but froze just a minute or so later. Most of the time, it just freezes after I select the drive. The Apple logo appears, then a black box appears where the "Please restart your computer" message should be.

I've tried: Unplugging the AC cord for 20 minutes.... Resetting the Parameter Ram... Disconnecting all peripherals... Re-seating all the memory sticks... Vacuuming up as much visible dust as I can...

I have not changed the backup battery, but it held the clock setting with the computer unplugged. I checked the time/date once when I got it to start briefly on the external drive.

It does not start up from a CD or the internal drive... Either it displays the circle with a line through it, or it gives the "You need to restart your computer" message. Then the fans take off like a jet's engines preparing for take-off.

Any ideas?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G5 Dual 1.8, June 2004, 2GB, 1TB

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 7:31 AM

3 replies

Nov 22, 2013 9:24 AM in response to a brody

I have swapped the RAM DIMMS around (as previously mentioned), but no amount of swapping changes the pattern of failure. I tried running with 1GB RAM (one pair of sticks) instead ot 2GB, with no change to the pattern of failure.

I'll probably just connect my drives to our G4, reinstall Tiger on the former G5 startup drive, and keep using what will run on the G4 until it croaks.

Power Mac G5 won't start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.