Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 text shortcuts bug

If you create a text shortcut with the shortcut being a number (DOB, telephone number, staff number etc) and then you try to enter that number anywhere in iOS (web page, email or any app) it is impossible. The number you input enters incorrectly.

EG: I have created a shortcut of "ss" for my staff number 17898887. However it is now impossible to enter any number beginning 1789 anywhere in iOS. As you as you type the first few numbers, the actual number you select does not display. EG enter 1789 and it will enter 178& or 1787 or 178£ and you have to constantly go back and correct it.

I can reproduce the error on any iOS 7 device. It never happened before upgrading.

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 8:15 AM

3 replies

Jan 31, 2014 8:55 AM in response to pagemakers4

I am having the exact same issue. I have a rental real-estate business and have a number of home addresses as shortcuts. This prevents me from having to type the entire Street Number, Street Name, City, State and Zip each time.

Because the addresses begin with numbers, the phone will not allow my to type the string of numbers on the first try in any application, text, email, etc.

For example, I created a shortcut for '1643 Pinedale Circle NW, Conyers, GA 30034'. When I try to type '164' to activate the shortcut, the phone will either enter '163' or '165'. Only after pressing 'Backspace' then changing the '3' or the '5' to a '4' will the Phrase for your shortcut then appear. Infact, it is impossible to enter '164' on the first try. This is very annoying.

Like the post above, I just upgraded to an IPhone 5s and never had the issue on my previous IPhones.

Does anyone else have this issue or know of a fix for it?

iOS 7 text shortcuts bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.