Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One of the USB ports on my Macbook Pro isn't working. Any way I can fix this or will I have to take it into the store to get repaired?

I bought a Macbook pro this July. Everything has been normal except about a week ago I started noticing I had to plug things in a few times in order for them to connect. Today I realized that one of my USB ports has been the problem, not my devices. THey connect right away when plugged into the right USB port next to the SD slot, but not at all when plugged into the left slot by the firewire hookup. Is this a problem that has a quick fix or am I going to have to go to the mac store?

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 10:09 AM

Reset the SMC and PRAM

SMC Reset:

1. Shut down the MacBook Pro.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM:

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2013 10:09 AM in response to paherrick

Reset the SMC and PRAM

SMC Reset:

2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM:

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

One of the USB ports on my Macbook Pro isn't working. Any way I can fix this or will I have to take it into the store to get repaired?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.