Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a way I can sync music to my iPod without using a USB cable?

Recently, my USB cable for my 4th Gen iPod completely broke. I have a new charger, but it's a socket charger. I want to sync some albums from my iTunes library on my laptop, but I don't have a cable to connect to my laptop. Is there any way I could sync the music from my library without a cable?

All help is appreciated! 🙂

iPod touch

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 11:20 AM

6 replies

Jan 22, 2015 12:26 PM in response to hhgttg27

If you read the original post like a good boy, you would see this girl doesn't have a USB cord. The link you sent requires a USB cord. Therefore YOUR reply is actually incorrect.

Set up syncing

1. Open iTunes. Make sure that you have the latest version.
  2. Connect your iOS device to your computer with the included USB cable.
  3. Locate your iOS device.
    If you're in the iTunes Store, click the Library button, then look for your device in the upper-right corner.
  4. In the Summary tab, select "Sync with this [device] over Wi-Fi."

She is looking for a way WITHOUT a USB cord. So actually, taking that into consideration, I'M right. At some point in no matter what you do, you need a USB cable AT SOME POINT.

Thanks.

Jan 22, 2015 10:30 AM in response to natashastraughan

This link: Sync your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch with iTunes using Wi-Fi - Apple Support describes how an iPod Touch can be synced over wi-fi, though unfortunately configuring the iPod to use wi-fi requires it to initially to connected via a USB cable. You may want to see if you can borrow a cable from someone, or pick up an after-market replacement (a quick check on these on Amazon reveals many choices for under $10 - the "Amazon Basics" one would probably be a reasonable choice).

Katiealey's comment that "I don't think they ever will as it's another way for them to insure that you purchase all of your songs from the iTunes store" is incorrect; iTunes may have a few limitations with respect to its integration with the Store, but iTunes is entirely usable with media obtained from other sources. All iDevices that support wi-fi (i.e., those that run iOS as opposed to "traditional" iPods - Classic, Nano, Shuffle, etc.) can be configured to sync over wi-fi.

Jan 22, 2015 10:15 AM in response to natashastraughan

The only thing I know of that might help is using iCloud or Home Sharing.

-With icloud, your songs have to be purchased in the iTunes store.

-Home sharing, if you haven't already set it up, you have the have the cord to set it up on your ipod.

Sadly, Apple has yet to make syncing over like wifi or data a thing.. But I don't think they ever will as it's another way for them to insure that you purchase all of your songs from the iTunes store and such.

I am in a similar situation as you.. I am at college until 5pm and forgot my iphone cord at home and was wanting to sync my itunes music with my phone but have yet to find a way.. I'll let you know if I find anything!

Jan 22, 2015 12:54 PM in response to Katiealey

... and the point is that unless the iPod has previously been set up for wi-fi syncing it is not possible to execute the sync operations without using a USB cable for the initial configuration - which is exactly what I stated in my response. So yes, you do need a USB cable at some point - which, as I said, could be easily borrowed from someone else or acquired at no significant expense.

is there a way I can sync music to my iPod without using a USB cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.