Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Mavericks Quicktime Avid DNX HD Codec Issues

Hi Community,

I work in the film industry in visual effects and we are using the Avid DNX HD Codec for our quicktimes and for what we get submitted from vendors. Since upgrading to Mavericks, I am no longer able to preview these quicktimes as I could with Mountain Lion and I also can not open them with out Quicktime wanting to convert them first.

I have reverted back to using Quicktime 7 which allows me to atleast play them without conversion, however I would love to use regular quicktime and have the preview ability back - which is essential to my job when receiving large quantities of quicktimes in a submission.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 12:32 PM

2 replies

Sep 29, 2014 2:14 PM in response to PTO214

Any thoughts or suggestions would be extremely appreciated!

"Open" passive (playback) codec support is no longer allowed under Mavericks and its use of the new AVFoundation-Modernizer embedded structures. Basically, QTX/QL based apps/GUIs cannot access any third-party codecs installed on your system for playback. The "Convert" embedded structure does retain some access to third-party and/or "legacy" codecs but only for the purpose of converting the content to to compression formats and file types that are natively supported by the AVFoundation structure embedded in Mavericks.

User uploaded file

OS Mavericks Quicktime Avid DNX HD Codec Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.