Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Apple Configurator organise web clips in to folders or specific locations on the home screen?

Hello,

I have 150 iPads to set up for a business. Previously I have done this one by one, this of course has been very time consuming. I've been looking for a solution to speed up the process. Apple Configurator has helped me some of the way. I can successfully get it to complete the initial setup and install the single free app the ipads need. I did this by creating a backup of a preconfigured master iPad and "restoring" it to the fresh iPads.

My problem is that there are 40 web clips to be installed on to each iPad, and they must be organised in a specific way. I am quite disappointed that these web clips are not included in the backup of the master ipad (or that they are stored in the backup but Configurator does not apply them to the fresh iPads - whichever it is).

Now I know I can create a profile with the 40 web clips in Configurator, and then apply this profile to the iPads. However this does not help me with an automated process for positioning the web clips exactly where they need to be. I will have to do this myself for each iPad, which will take about 5 minutes per iPad - or over 12 hours for all 150!

Im really hoping there is a simple solution. Thank you in advance.

iPad, iOS 6

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 12:48 PM

12 replies

Jul 20, 2015 10:14 AM in response to AthensMatt

All I know is what I read here. 😉

More details about encryption. Try encryption on a test ipad and see what shakes out. I know this is iTunes based, but at least you will see if encryption is the hammer you need.

http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/using-itunes-encrypted-backups

From there, you will need to copy the encrypted backup to configurator workspace. "some assembly required"

Configurator stores most of its data in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.configurator

See how talkative Apple is:

Enterprise

1-866-752-7753

Jul 21, 2015 11:08 AM in response to rccharles

I did find how to do an encrypted backup (it's in the profile you create). Setup the master iPad the way I wanted it with the WebClip on the first page. Then I made an encrypted backup of it. I then restored that backup on another iPad and it again put the WebClip on the second page.

Next, I tried putting the WebClip in a folder with another app on the first page. Again I made another encrypted backup. I restored this backup on another iPad and once again the WebClip was back on the second page no longer in the folder I created.

I tried both of these processes again without the encryption and neither worked.

So I think for now the answer is this. WebClips CANNOT be restored to the first page of the iPad. Furthermore, Webclips CANNOT be restored into a folder no matter which page. WebClips will ALWAYS be restored to a position on the second, or higher, page and not within any folder.

Hopefully Apple will fix this so Webclips associated with Apps, that need to be visited before running the App, will be able to be grouped together.

Jul 21, 2015 11:30 AM in response to AthensMatt

Bummer. Hopefully, I didn't cause you to spin your wheels too much.

Enterprise support:

Call enterprise support (866) 752-7753

*Feedback*

"Use the form below to send us your comments. We read all feedback carefully, but please note that we cannot respond to the comments you submit."

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Here are the places to report bugs:

Get an account at

http://developer.apple.com/ then submit a bug report to http://bugreporter.apple.com/

Once on the bugreporter page,

-- click on New icon

-- See if you need to attach a log file or log files, clicking on Show instructions for gathering logs. Scroll down to find the area or application that matches the problem.

-- etc.

Can Apple Configurator organise web clips in to folders or specific locations on the home screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.