Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro can't communicate with hp printer

Help Please!! Having problems with only 1 of our mac books communicating with our HP Photosmart 7525 printer. Trys to connect to printer thru our network and get message "printer not responding" etc. All other computers (desk top, laptop, ipads, phones, etc.) can print fine from anywhere in the home. Just not my laptop. I have tried everything I can think of. Uninstall drivers and reinstall. Reboot everything. Have had many issues with just this one laptop and the printer. Everything/everyone else has no problems.

Anyone know what possibly might be happening?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 13inch Early 2011

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 12:44 PM

6 replies

May 9, 2017 8:24 AM in response to apple ohana

So I am not an expert but I went on endless forums looking for how to fix this problem. My printer wasn't communicating with any of my devices so I couldn't print anything. When I first got my printer it came with a couple of apps that I had to install on my computer, one of them being called "HP uninstaller". This app doesn't show up on your launchpad, it only shows up on your finder. I ran the program and after I did all the steps I got to the end where it asks to print a test page and see if the process was successful but it wasn't. Next, I went to my printer itself and did a factory reset. After I finished setting up my printer to a network and so on, I clicked "Print Test page" and it went through. Went to Word to see if i could print a document and that also went through. Not saying you have to use the "HP uninstaller", thats just the steps I took. If someone fixes the problem with just a factory reset from their printer then let us know. By the way, this was with my HP ENVY 5540.

Nov 23, 2013 10:05 AM in response to apple ohana

Hello apple ohana,

It sounds like you are unable to print from your MacBook Pro to your HP Photosmart 7525. I found an article with steps you can take to troubleshoot printer issues on a Mac:

Follow these steps until the issue is addressed:

1. Make sure that the printer is powered on, has ink / toner, and that there are no alerts on the printer’s control panel. Note: If you cannot clear an alert on the printer's control panel, stop here and check the printer's documentation or contact the manufacturer for support.
  2. Ensure the printer is properly connected to a USB port on the Mac or AirPort base station / Time Capsule. If the printer is a network-capable printer, make sure that it is properly connected to your home network.
  3. Use Software Update to find and install the latest available updates. If an update is installed, see if the issue persists.
  4. Open the Print & Scan pane or Print & Fax (Snow Leopard) pane in System Preferences.
  5. Delete the affected printer, then add the printer again.
If the issue persists, try these additional steps:
  1. Reset the printing system, then add the printer again.
  2. If the issue still persists, reset the printing system again. Download and install your printer's drivers. Then, add the printer again.
  3. Contact the printer vendor or visit their website for further assistance.

Additional Information

Note: If your printer is wireless-capable, you should first add the printer to your network. Use the printer's control panel, or temporarily connect the printer to your Mac via USB. For more details, see this article.

You can find the full article here:

Troubleshooting printer issues in OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3147

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Macbook pro can't communicate with hp printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.