Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is mac OS 10.6.8 compatible with MacBook Pro 15 late 2011?

My computer came with Lion 10.7.2 preinstalled. I would like to run SnowLeo on a external hard disk. It seems to be a bit of confusion on whether it's possible to do so?

Kristo

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 3:05 PM

9 replies

Jan 1, 2014 10:56 AM in response to ikristo

MacOS 10.6.8 runs without problems on my Macbook Pro late 2011. I created it on a hackintosh with an original Snow Leopard DVD and then when that runs I put my Macbook Pro late 2011 in Target disk mode and used CCC to clone the OS to my MacBook Pro. There I created a tiny HD first with Disk Utility. Few people seems to understand that you can use Disk Utility to create a new HD on an existing one. No data will be erased.

I believe there are more way to install 10.6.8 but this was my way. It is true that you cannot install lower version numbers because of the Sandy i7 Proc. But 10.6.8 runs fine. Good luck!

Jan 1, 2014 11:00 AM in response to ikristo

Forgot to say you need to update the SL to 10.6.8 before you clone to MBP! Otherwise it won't run! Sorry.

You can update on an original older Mac or use a hackintosh for this which is easy to build from a existing PC in most cases when using Intel's hardware or Gigabyte MB. You can visit tonymacx site for that. Thanks to Apple who made this all possible!

Oct 12, 2015 3:14 PM in response to ikristo

Running OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on a MacBook Pro Late 2011 is possible. I have it installed on my 13" Late 2011 MacBook Pro, that hardware between the Early 2011 (Comes with SL) and the Late 2011 (Comes with Lion) are basically identical in terms of hardware and drivers. I pretty much installed Snow Leopard on an older Mac and cloned the system to an external drive. Plugged it into my MacBook Pro, and it runs flawlessly! After that, I cloned the files from the external drive onto a partition on my internal HDD, now I can run Snow Leopard as if the machine came with it.

Oct 13, 2015 4:03 AM in response to Pockett

I did just that on a friend*s iMac and installed on my macbook pro, late 2011. It is working fine on my internal hd, the only "problem" is that is says that my computer is a iMac! If I repair the authorities (?) it comes up a lot. And it is not "compatible" with my main system ElCapitan - the 10.11 partition will not show up. Can it be a problem with several partitions? I have 10.6.8, 10.9.5 and 10.11 on my drive. Plus a eDrive (TechTool Pro).

Is mac OS 10.6.8 compatible with MacBook Pro 15 late 2011?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.