Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 iOS 7 no sound during phone call but works ok using facetime

I have several iPhones and iPads, all of them are now on iOS 7 without any problems at all. But one of them is an iPhone 4 with many years of usage, it was working perfectly until I installed iOS 7 on it, now everything works BUT I cannot hear or be heard while on a phone call, but I can use facetime, skype to talk and even video call without any issue at all. And I can hear sounds, ringtones and music perfectly. I cannot heard or be heard even using headphones.

I am an "experienced" user, so I go through all the normal stuff apple recommends, like on/off the device, reset network settings and also made a full restore having the same result. I have this issue since iOS 7.01 and now using 7.04 is the same problem.

Ofcourse is not a hardware issue, otherwise the same will apply using Facetime and/or Skype, so I don't know what this issue is related to, seems to be iOS 7 related with "old" iPhones.

Had someone fix this issue or have a similar issue?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4, No Sound During Phone Call

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 1:32 AM

I am experiencing the exact same problem with two iPhone 4 devices (no audio during calls, incoming or outgoing and both ways). Audio works in other apps like Facetime and Skype as you describe. I too have gone through every 'standard' suggested fix.

I would add that this started with 7.0.4 for me. This needs fixing soon, or at least downgrade path to an OS version that will allow me to make a call.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2013 1:32 AM in response to SvenVath

I am experiencing the exact same problem with two iPhone 4 devices (no audio during calls, incoming or outgoing and both ways). Audio works in other apps like Facetime and Skype as you describe. I too have gone through every 'standard' suggested fix.

I would add that this started with 7.0.4 for me. This needs fixing soon, or at least downgrade path to an OS version that will allow me to make a call.

Dec 20, 2013 5:08 AM in response to turnavies

It seems I have accidentally fixed it: I wanted to downgrade to 7.0.0 by putting the iPhone in DFU mode and restoring with a specific 7.0.0 ipsw file (dowloaded at http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ - on Mac: hold alt while you click the restore button)

That didn't work because Apple doesn't allow downgrading, but when I rebooted the device, call audio was back. Maybe going in and out of DFU mode is enough? Could be something else. I'll try to test tonight with my second affected device.

iPhone 4 iOS 7 no sound during phone call but works ok using facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.