Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting Panther to play internet videos?

Hi, Is there any way one could get Panther to play videos on the internet? Or upgrade to a newer version of Safari that would allow that? Everything else works fine, I can see websites and photos, but where the videos should be there is just a white space. If I go to youtube, a sign just calls my browser "deprecated" and asks me to upgrade. Will I need to upgrade, or is there any way I can keep Panther and still play the videos? How about using another browser, such as Firefox, could that work? If I upgrade, should I upgrade to Tiger or Leopard? Where could I get a reliable old version of those two systems?

Thanks!

iBook G4 (14-inch), Mac OS X (10.3.x), 1.33ghz, 512RAM, Safari: 1.3.2(v312

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 9:25 PM

Camino 1.6.11 willl still work with Youtube, but Youtube says it will be phased out at some point. Still, until then it is a free download.

If you upgraded to 10.4 Tiger, you could run TenFourFox which is another version of Firefox that is still supported.

The cost involved with this is buying the 10.4 DVD such as somewhere like eBay and then downnloading the TenFourFox browser.

10.5 Leopard would run but might be a heavy for your iBook, so I'd choose 10.4 Tiger if you were going to upgrade.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2013 9:25 PM in response to quiensera

Camino 1.6.11 willl still work with Youtube, but Youtube says it will be phased out at some point. Still, until then it is a free download.

If you upgraded to 10.4 Tiger, you could run TenFourFox which is another version of Firefox that is still supported.

The cost involved with this is buying the 10.4 DVD such as somewhere like eBay and then downnloading the TenFourFox browser.

10.5 Leopard would run but might be a heavy for your iBook, so I'd choose 10.4 Tiger if you were going to upgrade.

Nov 22, 2013 6:45 PM in response to quiensera

Yes, TenFourFox only runs on Tiger?

Camino is a web browser in itself not a plugin to Safari. I have not tested it on those other sites you mentioned just Youtube.

Safari 1.3 for Panther has long been abandoned by Apple and Camino is coming to end as well but you can still download it and use to view Youtube.

http://caminobrowser.org/

Changes to the way content is delivered on the interent has its greatest impact on web browsers which eventually can't keep up if they are no longer being supported by their developer.

Getting Panther to play internet videos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.