Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I erase a 2007 iMac for resale and keep the latest OS?

I want to sell my 2007 iMac but when I select my HD in Disk Utility, "Erase" is greyed out so I can't perform the erase. I've attached a screenshot. Also I purchase Snow Leopard and installed it fairly recently. If I erase everything, will the operating system go away too? Can I give the buyer my snow leopard CD to install again?

User uploaded file

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 8:24 PM

You cannot erase the drive you are bootecd from. You need to boot from the Snow Leopard disk (hold C key while restarting) and then you can erase your drive. The installer will then reinstall the OS and yes, you need to give the buyer the install disks in case they need to reinstall.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2013 8:24 PM in response to Skl0

You cannot erase the drive you are bootecd from. You need to boot from the Snow Leopard disk (hold C key while restarting) and then you can erase your drive. The installer will then reinstall the OS and yes, you need to give the buyer the install disks in case they need to reinstall.

Nov 21, 2013 9:19 PM in response to Skl0

Correct. Or, another way to do it is to insert the disk, shut down, and then power up while holding the Option key. that will bring up the Startup manager which means you should see two disks on the screen - your choices to boot from. Choose the install disk. The keys should be pressed right after the startup sound and hold until you are booted from the install disk (C key) or see the Startup Manager (Option key).

How do I erase a 2007 iMac for resale and keep the latest OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.