Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari 7 web inspector crippled

I use the web inspector to make a lot of "on the fly" css tweaks which I then add to custom css files on wordpress blogs. The latest version of safari still allows me to do it BUT I can only select the rules OR the selectors when I want to copy what I have done. It refuses to let me select the entire block (rules and selectors) thus making me to two copy/paste operations when before I only needed to do it once.

Any ideas how to get around this?

Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 8:59 PM

3 replies

Dec 31, 2013 4:29 PM in response to davshirley

Bump. I updated to Mavericks a couple of weeks ago and have just slammed into this issue. The only "workaround" I've found is to click the link for the stylesheet that you've just modified and copy the code from that, but that's an extra step that I shouldn't have to perform when text is right there in front of me.

On top of that, I don't seem to be able to even add an attribute to an existing class anymore - hitting Tab, which used to let you quickly start a new attribute in the rule that you're editing, literally inserts a tab into whatever you're typing. Absurd! There are no tabs in CSS other than for visual organization that's irrelevant in this context. Why would the Inspector allow you to type actual tabs here?!

But what, there's more! While I love the new "+ New Rule" button, even here I'm not able to add attributes - unless I'm missing something, I would love to learn that I am - to the new rule. So if this new rule has six attributes, then it displays in the Inspector as six new rules, each with the same name. Absurd x2.

I really do like some of the changes to the Safari 7 Inspector, but I would gladly give them up in order to eliminate these infuriating UI obstacles. It's not worth it, and it's slowing me WAY the **** down. I've been one of the few Safari-centric web devs out there for many years, but if this doesn't get fixed then I'm going to have to finally make the migration to Chrome, and I won't be coming back if I do so.

Bonus gripe: The two irritations above combine to form one "super irritation"! After you've created a temporary rule to your liking, you can't select it. Period. All you can do is select/copy either the rule's class/ID or its attributes, not both. Brilliant.

Dec 31, 2013 4:34 PM in response to whit_g

Sorry, I can't help myself - I just remembered another gem: the Inspector no longer remembers the last window position you used when using it in windowed mode. So even though I have no reason to block my working window with my development window since I have two monitors and always split up the two, it always pops the new development window up on top of the one I'm looking at.

You're killing me, Apple.

Jun 5, 2014 2:52 PM in response to whit_g

On top of that, I don't seem to be able to even add an attribute to an existing class anymore - hitting Tab, which used to let you quickly start a new attribute in the rule that you're editing, literally inserts a tab into whatever you're typing. Absurd! There are no tabs in CSS other than for visual organization that's irrelevant in this context. Why would the Inspector allow you to type actual tabs here?!

that is bugging me, as well. i know this is six months down the road, but just found the thread. i just loaded up mavericks, as well, and have a love/hate relationship with the safari inspector. as you have likely noticed (if you haven't moved entirely to chrome) the 'name: value;' pairs for the styles don't highlight the way they used to and still do in chrome. if you click after the semicolon of any style, when you press enter the cursor goes to the next line and you can begin typing. very strange feedback, but it is still more useful than i thought it was.

btw, i do use chrome almost exclusively; i just need to use safari when working on mobile.

safari 7 web inspector crippled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.