Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV is not playing media from iTunes

I have a 500GB+ iTunes library on a FireWire external. I have always been able to pull up my TV Shows, Movies etc from either of my AppleTVs. I have a 2nd Gen in my living room and a 3rd Gen in my bedroom.

Suddenly, over a week ago, both decided that they did not want to play any of my videos from iTunes any more.

I can navigate to Computers, select either Movies or TV Shows, navigate the full list in either... but when you press play, you get this...

User uploaded file

The TV will sit and spin for hours upon hours.

Here is what I have done to try to resolve this issue...

• Restored both AppleTVs to factory settings, updated to the latest available OS.
  • Logged out of Home Sharing on my iMac and back in.
  • Moved my AppleTVs to 5GHz WiFi
  • Rebooted my iMac

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going mad!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 9:09 PM

1 reply

Nov 22, 2013 11:30 AM in response to RightOn

I have a very similar issue with a comparable time frame. Mine eventually tells me that the computer is not authorized, although it is. I can still watch content streaming from Apple's servers, but not streaming from my hard drive. I'm on a Windows computer hosting the library, and had issues with jerky video for a week prior to this new issue. I have rebooted the computer multiple times to no avail, and have even tried running iTunes with an administrator account.

AppleTV is not playing media from iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.