Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks Quicktime Player converts everything to ProRes??

I'm trying to play some Animation codec movie, but every time I open them with Quicktime Player X, it goes through a conversion process and it turns it into a ProRes movie!

What the heck? How do I stop this unwanted and super annoying behavior?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Model ID 13,2 Late 2012 27", i7

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 10:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 5:59 AM

Apple is trying to wean users from some of the older "legacy" codecs by offering this conversion when those types of files are opened. Eventually playback support for those older codecs will be gone in QuickTime version 10.

You will not get a conversion of your file if you open it using QuickTime Player 7.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2013 5:59 AM in response to Navarro Parker -

Apple is trying to wean users from some of the older "legacy" codecs by offering this conversion when those types of files are opened. Eventually playback support for those older codecs will be gone in QuickTime version 10.

You will not get a conversion of your file if you open it using QuickTime Player 7.

Dec 14, 2013 6:09 AM in response to Navarro Parker -

Agree, this is poor for those involved in creating video footage. Why make video playback software able to play less content? Quicktime has been slowly removing and changing features to be more streamlined, but actually worse. The player controls alone were a step back from previous capabilities. I find VLC is better. Not only does it not do all the rubbish conversions, but it also plays the audio/video in sync (where sometimes quicktime struggles - meaning having to recommend which player to use when sending work in progress videos to clients), and the colours aren't so washed out as they are in quicktime.

Generally quicktime is making more problems rather than improving on those it already has. Poor.

Dec 14, 2013 8:54 AM in response to Navarro Parker -

How do I stop this unwanted and super annoying behavior?

The simple answer is to not open the files in QT X v10.3 under Mavericks. Basically, Mavericks has two embedded structures. One (AVFoundation) supports QT X based apps while the other (the 32-bit QT structure) supports classic QT (QT 7) apps. Basically, when you open a file in QT X v10.3, it checks the codec and if it is not one that is compatible with the AVFountation, then the file is sent to the Movie Moderizer structure to determine whether or not the content is conversion compatible. If it is, then the content is forwarded to the Convert structure for the actual conversion. Most content is converted to H.264/AAC but when a codec like Apple Animation is recognized, it switches to the Apple ProRes 422 encoder. Additional codecs like MJPEG video in an AVI container may be sent through the moderizer but the data is simply passed through to an MOV file container without any conversion. The ProRes 422 encoder is now a codec included in the basic Mavericks system codec configuration and appears to be the default "Intermediate" codec replacing AIC as the "poor man's" intermediate codec. AIC, PNG, DV stream, and a number of other codecs commonly used for editing codecs are not supported by the AVFoundation. However, all such formats still function normally in the QT 7/QT 7 Pro Player apps under Mavericks which is supported by the 32-bit QT structure still embedded in Mavericks. I simply use QT 7 as my defualt player for MOV files so they will automatically open in QT 7 rather than QT X when I double-click the file icon. Basically, if a file icon in the Finder is not QuickLook compatible, it will trigger the conversion routine if loaded to the QT X v10.3 Player, so you know what to expect in advance.

User uploaded file

Dec 14, 2013 1:28 PM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks for the technical rundown Jon. Won't be using QT X anymore for anything.

And I think that's really the point of the issue: people can explain Apple's position until the cows come home but the fact remains that the auto conversion procedure is far from ideal for anyone who works in professional media. Apple has been making bizarre decisions like this since the release of FCPX.

I'll be sticking with Avid and Adobe products as much as possible and will be keeping away from OS X when I can. Windows is quickly becoming my preferred platform.

Dec 27, 2013 4:25 AM in response to Talisker85

Hi Talisker,

im with you. After installing Maverick on my imac i was realy at the point to think about going back to Microsoft completly.. i cant stand all these terrible virtual dependency, everytime when a new update is coming im afraid of getting crashed any of my programms. i got more and more the feeling of loosing control with mac.

Jan 10, 2014 11:04 PM in response to Navarro Parker -

I am a professional film maker.. This has to stop..

This is not a good design change. It's the worst just like FCP X.. Get real Apple!!! Professionals have other deliveires other than your glorified event in FCP X.. Professionals need to be able to save movies in several formats.. Multiple versions.. I need to be able to view mutiple formats in a viewer. I can't imagine taking away from a tool set to get the job done.

Looks like the Apples team isn't a real production company at all. They only address the needs of there own inner advertising agency not the professional video world in both final cut and quicktime on Mavericks.

All I do any more is update and restore because of all the new problems with Mavericks.

Mar 4, 2014 10:32 AM in response to Navarro Parker -

Hey Nav- it's Jack here. So funny I saw this this morning and am on board with this gripe. Just got a new MacPro2013 for 10K in the studio and 1st job we're doing is Wormhole which our plates are all DNxHD. Not the greatest codec of all time, but that's what we get delivered to build vfx from. QT 10 converts the codec into ProRes. In our facility it's not up to us to convert the client's footage. This has to stop! We've reistalled our QT 7.6.6. Pro (found my serial # and dusted it off) version which supports AVID codecs as does AE and Pr, but there is some Mavericks weirdness going on with QT Pro 7. No thumbnails for the Avid codec in either QT X or V_7. In Snow Leopard at least the thumbnail was there.

For those of us professional video artists and companies that rely on multiple formats for I/O, this must be a priority to Apple to remain a valid supplier professional workstation tools. If not www.mediaworkstations.net is an alternative next step in building a truley professional grade media workstation. Come on Apple, I love my MacProRage, but SUPPORT IS KING!

Mar 4, 2014 12:25 PM in response to Cloudesign

Hi Jack! Congrats on the nMP! (I'm jealous!)

Yeah, Quicktime 7 doesn't really solve much. According to the other responses, the Finder icons are piped through the new Mavericks QT X frameworks, which only recognizes h264 & ProRes. So you get a blank icon and the spacebar Quicklook preview doesn't work. Total pain in the keister! 😢

I've resorted to using RV64 for playback.

http://www.tweaksoftware.com/products/rv

I'd also suggest to everyone that they should contact Apple directly:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/quicktime.html

Jul 14, 2014 2:21 PM in response to JJRogersxviii

I am in the same boat. I work in Hollywood and am in the middle of a project when we switched over to Mavericks so we could use the new Apple Codecs. It has ruined our pipeline and really destroyed our faith in Apple products. We have over 30 edit/vfx bays here and have spent over half a million dollars in apple computers and products over the past 10 years and we will be starting the switch to PC after this fiasco. Ever since Final Cut X came out they have just taken a nose dive. I am just sad. I used to be very Apple gung ho, but more and more it feels like they have abandoned the professional film maker. To me 10.6 was the last great operating system...RIP.

Mavericks Quicktime Player converts everything to ProRes??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.