Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why don't I have alerts when I plug in my handsfree headphones?

Brand new iPhone, I want to know if this is a bug or a ...feature.

I plug in my headset, and keep it plugged in all day, because I don't want to have to put the phone up to my ear. Therefore, I use the original apple headphones, as a handsfree.

I keep it on my desk. I get call alerts, I can hear them fine. I do not get sms alerts, viber alerts, or any other type of alert except phone and alarms, when headset is plugged in. I only get vibration. This causes me to miss a lot of messages at the time they're sent.

Any way to get around this...? It's irrational for the phone's alerts to shut down just because you wanna have your handsfree plugged in and not plug it in every time you want to talk on the phone.

Thanks in advance,

Katt

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 1:42 AM

17 replies

May 10, 2014 11:59 PM in response to KattSway

Yes, exactly, this is so stupid. And then you see people argue: "If you want to hear the SMS you have to plug out your earphones." or "If you have plugged in your earphones means you don't want the world to hear your calls." So why the call alert still sounds through the speaker, even the earphones are pluged in? This issue really #¿†∂ me. I miss SMS alerts all the time. And honestly... should I #¿†∂ off the earphones plugs, while plug and unplug them all the time?

Aug 11, 2014 7:57 PM in response to KattSway

I actually got audible text alerts when my earphones where plugged in...it worked fine since I got my iPhone in December. But I went to a workshop at a Verizon store and the guy changed some features on my phone, and now I no longer get the alert sounds for texts. Went to Apple Store in Santa Monica (a huge store for them) and they told me that it's normal for no alert sounds coming from the phone's speaker when the earphones are plugged in. HUH? It was working fine. I was inclined to think there was a bug in their programming. Now I'm not sure what's going on. I've missed getting some texts in a timely manner because of this glitch.

Aug 22, 2014 3:03 AM in response to KattSway

Hello to everyone.

I was just wandering if this behavior was a bug or it was me that was missing some settings. 😕

Well let's say that discovering this is the standard behavior really disappoint me.

I use the phone a lot during my workday and, as many of you and many people on earth, i leave the phone next to my laptop with headphones plugged.

That's because I obiovusly don't like to have the phone sticked to my ear all day...

Therefore, i'm missing all mail and sms alerts. That wouldn't be too bad if at least there were a way to mirror notification to my pc... but no. It's apple...

So that phone isn't good for my job... I'm asking my company my old Blackberry back... or even a Nokia or a Star Tac would be better than this.

Aug 22, 2014 7:43 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

You serious? 😐

I think "Ridiculous hyperbole" is actually one of the synonymous of "IRONY" 😁

I was clearly exaggerating to tickle the discussion a bit.

Btw. yes this is serious problem for me, sometimes i simply cannot afford to "lose" emails.

That alone makes this phone not reliable for business use in my case.

I think it would not be a big effort to include this behaviour as an option in the future iOS release.

Aug 22, 2014 10:10 AM in response to Coinup

The definition of hyperbole seems to have been "lost" along with your emails. Whether jesting about the StarTAC or not, it certainly wasn't clear to me - and I'll go out on a limb and say for others as well. You're clearly generous with the smilies and one is conspicuously missing from that particular sentence. If the iPhone isn't suitable for business use for you, move on.

But I have to ask you now...

You serious? A missing beep or on-screen alert ONLY when headphones are plugged in makes the iPhone unreliable for business use? You have repeated that particular statement twice now, so I'm assuming it wasn't meant to tickle the discussion.

God help us all if that's the case. I can't imagine what it's like to actually have to glance at your phone every few minutes to see if an important email came in.

No one here disagreed it would be nice to have alerts work consistently. Do what others have done and send Apple your thoughts directly at http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Aug 22, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Alfred DeRose

Intresting. Apparently you have the right to bully people with no contradictory.

Just because I was asked a question and I don't want to be rude i will simply answer to you.

Indeed I am very serious. this is a real handycap for me while doing my job. Most of the times i can rely only on the phone to check mails and sms. And in case of urgency timing is everything.

My mentioning of other brands was only used to make a reference to the fact that all other phones do not have this problem.

Sure i can always pass 8 to 10 hours with an earphone in my ear or bashing the home button to chek notifications, but would you? And that's about being serious.

Apparently I'm not the only one, so thank you for giving me the opportunity to explain my case with your question.

Thanks for the suggestion. The IT department of my company will surely provide feedback to Apple.

Sep 8, 2014 10:33 AM in response to KattSway

Sadly, I'm not optimistic about getting this simple problem cured. In the years I've been using Apple products and software, I've found the company uniquely creative in devising products, but outrageously unresponsive to customer feedback about needed changes and even outright bugs. In worst place ahead of even Microsoft! And that's a bad position to be in!

Why don't I have alerts when I plug in my handsfree headphones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.