Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari doesnt recongnize flashplayer

When I initially got my computer I was able to view videos on youtube. Now I am only able to veiw certain videos as the other ones give me an error saying "you must have flashplayer for video playback." I have updated my Operating system. I have uninstalled flash player and reinstalled it. I have checked my settings to ensure the flash player plug in is in my libabry and it is. I have cleared by Safari cache. I have also cleared my cookies and website data. I have checked to see if there were any extensions turned on. What else can I do?

-Amanda

Safari and Flash Player-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 3:17 AM

2 replies

Nov 22, 2013 11:24 AM in response to Destination_Irie

If you're sure you've installed the latest version of Flash, take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. After each step, relaunch Safari and test. For a "missing plug-in" error, start with Step 5.

1. If you're only having trouble with YouTube videos, sign in to your YouTube account and load this page. You may see a link with the text "Leave the HTML5 Trial." If so, click that link.

2. If you're getting a "blocked plug-in" error, then from the menu bar select

 ▹ System Preferences… ▹ Flash Player Advanced

and click Check Now. Quit and relaunch your browser.

3. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Right-click or control-click the highlighted text and select

Services ▹ Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open. Delete the following item, or anything with a similar name, if present:

Flash Player (failing).plugin

You may be prompted for your login password.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combinationcommand-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

4. Re-download and reinstall Flash. Download it from this page:

Never download a Flash update from anywhere else.

5. If you get a " missing plug-in" error, select

Safari Preferences... Security

from the Safari menu bar and check the box marked Enable plug-ins.

6. Select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

from the Safari menu bar. If any extensions are installed, disable them.

7. In the Safari preference window, select

Privacy Remove All Website Data

Close the window. Then select

 ▹ System Preferences… ▹ Flash Player Advanced

and click Delete All. Close the preference pane.

safari doesnt recongnize flashplayer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.