Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a more durable lighting to usb cable?

Our school just purchased 1,200 iPads over the summer and we implemented them this year. Now that iOS7 has been rolled out and everything is situated in that aspect, we have another major problem.

The Lightning to USB cables that come with the iPads are JUNK. I know kids aren't the easiest on chargers, but the amount that short out are ridiculous. Even tenured staff members have gotten shorts in theirs!

Does anyone know of a way to get replacements through Apple or can anyone suggest a more durable 3rd party cable?

iPad, iOS 7, Using Configurator 1.4

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 5:56 AM

I bought some replacement cables on eBay. You could buy in bulk quantities. Much, much cheaper than Apple's cables.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

5 replies

Nov 22, 2013 6:16 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

When buying in bulk, especially from abroad, do not forget to figure customs and import taxes into the price calculations. Chinese companies quite reasonably do not include those charges when quoting prices.

However, please do tell Apple (or your Apple salesperson) about the problem. A sample size of 1,200 is big enough to let them know that those cables are genuinely not doing the job that they were sold to do. This is valuable information for any manufacturer and should change its source or production methods to help it improve the product.

Also it means that Apple should give you free replacements right away. Albeit replacements which will probably have the same problems.

Nov 22, 2013 6:22 AM in response to MrMeansMTA

If you do not have a specific salesperson assigned to your organisation, just clal the Education Sales phone number (or email) and let them figure out who should handle your problem. I'm sure at some point you'll be asked to quote your order number or AppleCare number.

Actually, if you have AppleCare on those devices you should be supplied with replacement cables free of charge. At least, that's my guess.

Is there a more durable lighting to usb cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.