Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto and iMovie gone after Mavericks upgrade

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to Mavericks and lost ALL of my applications. I finally have most everything back in order, but iPhoto and iMovie are gone and now the App Store says I need to purchase them.

Why should I have to purchase them when I already own them from the purchase of my MacBook Pro? Getting a free Mavericks upgrade should not cause me to have to spend $30 to get the applications back that I already owned in the first place.

Please help me restore those two applications.

Thanks,

Greg

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 10:51 AM

84 replies

Nov 22, 2013 10:58 AM in response to -gas-man-

1 - if your applications were erased then it is user error - you choose to do that - a notmal upgrade does not erase anything

2 - to get them back you reinstall from the original source - which may be the restore didsk that came with your computer, a purchased iLife upgrade or the app store using the Apple ID you used to set yoru computer up

3 - if you do not own iPhoto '11 then you will have to pruchase iPhoto '11 at the App store in any case

LN

Nov 22, 2013 11:12 AM in response to Axeman1020

I purchased the MacBook new. It did not come with installation disks. I don't know what versions of iPhoto and iMovie were on it. Just because I made a mistake shouldn't mean I have to buy software again! A license is a license, right?

And by the way... I simply upgraded to Mavericks and ALL of my applications were GONE. Could have been a user error (thanks for the "you chose to do that" comment...), but all I did was tell it to upgrade. Everything gone! The only app that was there was iTunes. Even the Terminal app was gone. Everything on the screen had question marks! Crazy.

Since iPhoto and iMovie came with the Mac, I did not download them from the App store originally (at least I don't recall doing that... it was a couple of years ago now).

Would the applications be save in Time Machine somewhere?

Nov 22, 2013 11:22 AM in response to -gas-man-

so please read my responce

2 - to get them back you reinstall from the original source - which may be the restore disk that came with your computer, a purchased iLife upgrade or the app store using the Apple ID you used to set your computer up

Maybe it is clearer using bullet points rather that standard English puncuation

To get them back you reinstall from the original source

which may be

1 - The restore disk that came with your computer,

2 - a purchased iLife upgrade or

3 - the app store using the Apple ID you used to set your computer up - in this case you go to the App store under purchases

Only you know what the original source is

As as to who should pay for yoru mistake -- obviously if your mistake creates a cost then you should pay the cost you created - pretty simple stuff

As to Time Machine - yes they should be there but it is better to reinstall them - copying from a backup dose not work well for applications

LN

Nov 22, 2013 11:34 AM in response to Axeman1020

Thanks Axeman. I'll try registering it and see if the purchases show up.

Larry - in the eyes of most consumers, if you purchase software, you should be able to download it again and reinstall it without having to repurchase it. Are you this much of a jerk to everyone who asks questions on this forum? You make me want to return my Mac and sell my AAPL stock.

Nov 22, 2013 11:38 AM in response to -gas-man-

You can reinstall it again - but you do not have the information to do that - sorry that you find facts being a jerk - but then maybe the jerk is the one who is calling others names - some would think that

Have a nice day and hope that you find a way to resolve your error without my assistance - I choose not to interact with name callers

LN

PS I could care less what you choose to do with yoru Apple stock and your computer - it makes no difference to me - I gave you the information yo need to fix the problem you created - you now make your choices on what to do

Jan 27, 2014 10:49 AM in response to -gas-man-

My wife had the same situation when she upgraded to Mavericks and this is what we did to fix the issue.

1. Open up App Store

2. Click Store > Sign In...

3. Sign in with your app store credentials

4. Go to iPhoto and hopefully you can install without having to pay because you are already authorized to download the app.

Good luck!

Mar 8, 2014 7:49 AM in response to Hobocharlie15

I have the same problem, installed Maverick and iLife and iWork gone - remembered these apps came with the Leopard when I purchased the MBP, remembered I asked the iStudio where I purchased and they confirmed it's legal licences.

I only got the Mac install CD but not the iLife/iWork CD. Don't remember which version was in my old system.

I went to App Store, signed in, it indicates I have to "Buy App" (not Install), and I just clicked that... and now it's Installing...

Regreted I clicked too fast, hopefully I am not going to be charged ... or I will be charged and will be sad.

If I am charged, I think Apple should gives clearer warning for normal user like me that I could loose some of the Apps I own after installing Maverick.

😟

iPhoto and iMovie gone after Mavericks upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.