Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound but GarageBand with external speakers, Mavericks

I have a Peachtree Audio, digital amplifier, that always works. Since I have upgraded to Mavericks, I can only hear attached external speakers, if I unplug the cord in the digital out and replug it in. GarageBand will recognize DAC connection.

BUT no other sounds can be heard, internet, iTunes, etc... I tried selecting in sound / system preferences.

Hopefully I am doing something simply idiotic. I have GarageBand 09. GarageBand 11 is on the way in the shape of my new 13inch MacBook, but that takes a month. Don't see what it has to do with GarageBand, although it sounds like a software problem to me. Thanks in advance..

Simply I have no sound, but GarageBand.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2.93 Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 12:19 PM

1 reply

Nov 22, 2013 12:58 PM in response to l8l8l8l

maybe try this

-- hold down the "option" key and click on the speaker icon on top of your screen. this will show you all currently available sound inputs and outputs

Also, run Audio MIDI, sometimes something gets stuck there, which might mean a loss of sound,

other than that? try system preferences (sound) and see what your output is set to

sorry i can't do mor than that

John B

No sound but GarageBand with external speakers, Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.