Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks: Preview can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. I lowered my security in system prefs but how can Apple be an unidentified developer?

Mavericks: I got this message when I tried to direct a PNG file to Preview: "Preview can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer". I lowered my security in system prefs and now it can be opened . . . but how can Apple be an unidentified developer?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Mavericks question

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 1:11 PM

10 replies

Nov 22, 2013 10:13 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney - 15E, it's a new version of Preview dated 9/15/2013 . . . version 7.0. My iMac is just a year old and I believe this version of Preview came in with my recent Mavericks upgrade. Noone uses my computer but me so it hasn't been tampered with. I can live with the lowered security that made Preview open, but it also allows all outside apps to open.

Thanks for the reply.

Nov 23, 2013 6:33 AM in response to Cellozen

I guess I didn't really mean actual tampering, but if it wasn't isntalled correctly, it will not be in the correct state to allow it to be recognized.

You should not need to leave the setting like that. If you open it once, it should be remembered.

If it is not, then the only solution I can come up with at this point is to reinstall Mavericks. There isn't a way to download Preview separately.

Reinstalling won't remove your data, but you should still have a good backup before starting.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Jan 3, 2014 4:19 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have the same prob. I'm trying to open a Kodak program to run the printer from a MacBook Air but the same restruction pops up even after trying your fix ie can't open cos it's not an Apple App. Is there any other route? By the way, I don't get the menu poopping up with the "open" option.

Barney-15E wrote:

Instead of using the System Preference setting, you can right-click on a program and choose Open from the contextual menu. It will then warn you that it is from an unidentified developer, but will let you open the app. This way, you don't have to turn the setting off and on all the time.

Mavericks: Preview can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. I lowered my security in system prefs but how can Apple be an unidentified developer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.