Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi on older Mac Pro?

How do I get Wi-Fi on my mac pro that does not have a built in wireless card (yes it has ethernet of course but It is not practical to run an ethernet cable in this situation)? I ask because I cannot find anything as simple as "Wireless Card" in the online apple store.

Thanks, Pat.M.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), (V 1.1 with chameleon boot loader)

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 2:33 PM

4 replies

Nov 22, 2013 4:26 PM in response to Jazznoob123

If I am reading your profile correctly .. a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 will do nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx86com-20

Otherwise let me suggest a rather easier and often pretty cheap solution that is bullet proof.

Get a bridge router and use that. What you buy depends on the main router. eg if you have an apple AE or TC as main router then any Apple router in wireless extend mode will provide ethernet to wireless bridge.

A second hand AE can be cheaper than a dedicated decent wireless card and you can locate it better on a few meters of ethernet cable.

If you have a different brand you cannot use the AE or TC but you can use the Express. Or use a similar router that has universal bridge or WDS. This is not 100% straight forward.. what you have now dictates what you will install.

Nov 22, 2013 4:54 PM in response to Jazznoob123

In the case of both external USB wireless adapters and internal wireless third-party cards, make sure that your operating system is supported before you buy.

Alternatively, look for a wireless Ethernet bridge (sometimes called a gaming or media adapter) to be connected to the Ethernet port of the computer. Examples include Netgear WNCE2001 and Linksys WET610N. Typically, such bridge devices do not require special driver software, and can thus be used under almost any operating system. Setup can usually be carried out via a standard web browser.

Jan

Wi-Fi on older Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.