Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I suddenly lost my I Photo library. How would I go about finding it? I have not pictures when I click on I Photo

I suddenly lost my I Photo library. Where has it gone? How do I go about finding it/restoring it?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 2:26 PM

8 replies

Nov 22, 2013 2:45 PM in response to LarryHN

The iPhoto library is in the pictures folder but it is as if I have just installed I photo so there are no pictures in the library.

I was in "events" and perhaps I hit a key somewhere that made all the photos go blank. I really don't know what caused the pictures to disappear. Black rectangles with an outline of orange where the photo should be. As I scrolled up events the photos would appear briefly and then turn black/empty. I tried everything I knew and decided to turn off the computer, go for a walk and hoping that when I came back it would all work.

When I turned the computer back on an hour later, I got the notice saying to pick a library but none was listed. So I chose a new library and there I am with a new, blank library.

Version is 9.5 (902.7)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Nov 22, 2013 2:48 PM in response to mjkimbrough

Apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

2 - run Option #4 to rebuild the database.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button and select the library you want to add in the selection window..

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

Nov 22, 2013 3:29 PM in response to Old Toad

I can't get either of Old Toad's fixes to work nor Larry HN's suggestions.

I downloaded iPhoto Library Manager. When I clicked on Add Library the only option was Library (default), the new one I added that is blank. I couldn't find anything to add manually. So I clicked on Library (default) and Library--Rebuild option did not come up. My options were to add photos to the empty library.

Any other suggestions?

I have Passport external backup but when I click on the icon, none of the options make sense to me.

Nov 22, 2013 4:11 PM in response to mjkimbrough

Did you try to select the default library and rebild it?

Open the library that's in the Pictures folder like shown in this screenshot:

User uploaded file

Look in side the Masters folder (actually the subfolders in the Masters folder) and see if there are any image files there. If there isn't then the photos are gone. If you have a backup of the library from before this occurred it's time to restore it to the Pictures folder.

I suddenly lost my I Photo library. How would I go about finding it? I have not pictures when I click on I Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.