Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off low battery notification?

Lately this has been really anoying. I know how much battery I have. I need to turn this off. Do you know how?

iPhone 5

iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2017 6:44 AM

Typical snarky reply of a Level 9, most likely an Apple employee/paid fanboi.

And no, we do want notification when the battery is low, we just want Apple to get rid of the annoying decade-old modal dialog warning box and move it to the notification area like they did with all the other notifications. Customers have been asking for this change for years and years and Apple continues to turn a blind eye and deaf ear to the will of the customers.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2017 6:44 AM in response to Csound1

Typical snarky reply of a Level 9, most likely an Apple employee/paid fanboi.

And no, we do want notification when the battery is low, we just want Apple to get rid of the annoying decade-old modal dialog warning box and move it to the notification area like they did with all the other notifications. Customers have been asking for this change for years and years and Apple continues to turn a blind eye and deaf ear to the will of the customers.

Feb 13, 2017 8:42 AM in response to Csound1

I have submitted dozens of feedback over the years using that link you gave me, and it goes nowhere.

But it doesn't matter if I am in the minority, the fact that so many of these threads exist and after all these years Apple has not delivered on what the customers want, shows that there is a demand for change.

It would take iOS engineers all of 5 or 10 minutes of work to move the low battery notification to the same place the other notifications live, yet we get new mickey mouse features like confetti and fireworks features in iMessage instead of fixes or enhancements to the annoyances or shortfalls of the system.

Oh, but at least we can send iMessages with the Slam Effect now! <rolls eyes>

May 13, 2017 12:05 PM in response to Nilak

Nilak wrote:

Remember that approximately 80% battery charge is optimal. Below 20% the battery wears out much quicker and the power save mode tries to help not getting low too quickly. A full discharge once every like 3 moths if I remember right is recommended though. I've been using my phone for over 10 months now and the battery wear out level is 1%. I rarely let my phone get below that 20%, usually not below 40%. My wife's phone has already got to a 38% wearout in less than 1 year and a half. She frequently let it fully discharge.

Most of your information is incorrect. Lithium ion batteries shouldn't be drained completely. Beyond that, it doesn't really matter much. The battery doesn't wear out any faster at 20% than it does at 80%. You should never completely drain a lithium ion battery. It is not recommended.

Battery lifespan is measured in charge cycles. A charge cycle is one complete charge up. So, if you only drain your battery to 80% and charge it up, you've used one fifth of a charge cycle. Do that five times and it's one charge cycle.

Here's what Apple recommends:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

In all likelihood, the reason your wife's battery shows more wear is because she's using her phone more.

Nov 19, 2017 10:47 AM in response to Applemom71

Applemom71 wrote:

I totally agree! This is a nuisance. I use a singing app and whenever this notification pops up, I lose my recording as my iPhone basically stops it wherever I was in the song and I only have the option to save the unfinished recording but not to resume singing. It’s especially annoying when I do video recordings. And I am in do not disturb mode when that happens! A banner or options for notifications should be available.

Submit your feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Meanwhile, when your phone battery is getting low, plug it in, either to a wall or a battery pack.

Mar 1, 2017 4:36 AM in response to Csound1

Y'know its not so stupid to have the ability to turn it off.

Every evening i accompany my baby daughter to sleep and have my phone in silent mode, night shift mode with the brightness right down, and then suddenly there is an annoying hugely loud niise from my phone telling me i have 20% battery life left. I know that! I'm fricking staring at my phone that supposed to be silent!!! Can't the alert on an unlocked phone be just visual?

I read that they don't want people running batteries all the way down as it damages them - well then apple please give me a battery that can last more than one day!

Mar 23, 2017 5:44 PM in response to doug526

It's ok that we get notifications, though it should be a banner or something like that (or configurable so one could choose between the pop-up and the banner).

The problem with this current pop-up is that I have lost real money because of this problem. Competitive games are not playable because of this. Example given: in Clash Royale you can select cards and put them on the "table" (battlefield). Whenever the battery pop-up comes you immediately lose at least 2 seconds of vision (and ability to counter your opponent) and the worst part is, that after you click on dismiss it will immediately drop the selected card on the spot where the "dismiss" button was and there is NO way to cancel the selected card if the popup comes up. I also had this with poker games, where the fold button was underneath the popup. After clicking dismiss the game thinks I pressed fold and thus lost a lot of money and this problem goes back years in time.

Please Apple for the love of everyone in the world, please fix this. It might be even more important then choosing our standard apps. Don't make me want to buy a (upcoming) surface phone, because I like the iphone a lot and just as you at Apple I dislike android.

Mar 24, 2017 5:49 PM in response to Jimz011

For some reason I can't access the page where you replied csound1, but don't get me wrong, I totally agree with what you said about people can get whatever phone they want. However your answer doesn't add anything, it doesn't help people with this problem and it is just unnecessary. It is a bad solution to simple problems. In your case if you have a tv and the built in guide is not working the way you would like your solution would be: buy something else. Well you might not have noticed, but most people don't want to pay €1000 or more to fix a software problem.

Apr 25, 2017 7:27 PM in response to west9599

I use my iPhone as a sat nav for work purposes. If my battery is low, this stupid notification box covers the maps I'm using, telling me my battery is low and I have to press the screen to get rid of it.

That's 2 big problems for me!

With the law in the UK it is illegal to touch the screen while the keys are in the ignition. This "battery low" warning is risking me a £200 fine, my driving licence, my job and mine and others lives if I attempt to dismiss it with the keys in the ignition.

If it's not sorted out soon I will be moving to an ANDROID device as they are already starting to be more user friendly than iPhones now.

Sort it out Apple.

May 13, 2017 9:35 AM in response to Cosme422

Remember that approximately 80% battery charge is optimal. Below 20% the battery wears out much quicker and the power save mode tries to help not getting low too quickly. A full discharge once every like 3 moths if I remember right is recommended though. I've been using my phone for over 10 months now and the battery wear out level is 1%. I rarely let my phone get below that 20%, usually not below 40%. My wife's phone has already got to a 38% wearout in less than 1 year and a half. She frequently let it fully discharge.

May 13, 2017 3:42 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I didn't say to drain completely the battery. That is in fact impossible to do within a short period of time like a day or two. I said to let the phone untils it shuts down itself. At that stage it still has some energy left. The voltage get to a 3.3V or so, depending on internal the battery management algorithm. One producer may chose to show 0% at higher volatges for safety by at the expense of a lower usable capacity. A comlpelete drain of the battery is when it gets to zero and even there you have to hold it for a while to fully discharge. However below 2.7V you will permanently damage the battery and you will have a high self discharge rate and a possible risk of fire (although not to much energy is left to support it). But don't worry the phone doesn't let you do that unless you have an old phone you let it discharged for like few years and the voltage eventually drops to a very low level due to a rather slow discharge rate.

Some while ago I've read about the management of li-ion , lipo batteries. And they say the wear out depends on the number of cycles, temperature, the state of charge, the rate of charge (current), rate of discharge. Perhaps you have some recent information which suggest these have changed or simply newer batteries are much better.

May 13, 2017 7:08 PM in response to Nilak

Nilak wrote:

I said to let the phone untils it shuts down itself.

There is no reason to do that. Apple used to recommend doing that once a month to calibrate the battery sensor. They stopped recommending that a few years ago.

I don't worry about my battery at all. I charge it when I get a chance don't think too much about it the rest of the tim. There's no reason to micromanage your charging.

May 13, 2017 7:23 PM in response to Cosme422

Guys, let's keep this thread on topic, not about battery life technicalities.

The topic of this discussion is the battery low modal dialog box that pops up and interrupts the user's workflow, requiring their interaction. The behavior of this box has not been changed in years and years. While other parts of IOS notifications have been modernized and polished, this unfortunate choice of user interface design has seemingly been left behind, abandoned, and forgotten.

Apple customers are simply asking for a way to disable this notification box, for whatever reason, a large number of users find the low battery warning a nuisance, repetitive, disruptive, or unnecessary.

Perhaps it is time for this $250 billion company to spend a little bit of its pocket change and listen to users for once and give us more choice as to how we'd like to use the devices that we've spent so much money on. It wouldn't hurt, if just for once, Apple listened to its customers and created a more flexible user interface experience.

May 13, 2017 7:36 PM in response to doug526

doug526 wrote:

Guys, let's keep this thread on topic, not about battery life technicalities.

There is nothing else useful to say here in this technical support forum about the low battery warning. You can't turn it off. That hasn't changed and talking about it here won't change it. Submit your feedback to Apple. The link has been given.

Beyond that, as long as people stay within the Terms of Use of these forums, they are free to post as they see fit.

How to turn off low battery notification?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.