Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto book won't upload

Using iPhoto11 9.2.3.

Have spent literally hundreds of hours producing softcover books for both of my parents who are about to turn 80. I've tried 8 times to upload one of them and, after waiting for at least half an hour, the blue progress bar finally ends and the error message "an error occurred..," appears.

Other threads suggested starting in Safe Mode and doing this again; it received the same message.

What else can I do?

I've used this function before; only 2 months ago I successfully submitted a similar book for my father-in-law's 90th; it took 2 attempts to upload but worked a charm and the finished result was true to the screen.

If it's a matter of photo sizes, what is an efficient way to reduce the size of the photo files?

thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 11:46 AM

Try going to System Preferences > Sharing and select 'Remote Apple Events'. This works for me after many failed attempts that seemed to complete with an error.

Mike

11 replies

Nov 23, 2013 8:31 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks, Larry, for your suggestions. I've tried these and those of Old Toad and wasted yet another day.

I've searched online and think that I will probably use another digital print company to print my books from the PDFs at a similar cost.

Apple needs to know that people will head off in droves to other companies if one hour uploads that require constant monitoring through Network Utility - and fail anyway - are the only option with iPhoto.

Nov 26, 2013 2:43 AM in response to Anne CW

Hi Anne

I'm not sure where you are but I am in Sydney, Australia and having the same issue here. I have spent around 30 hours all up creating a book for a Christmas gift for a friend overseas. I leave to go visit in 19 days and need the book before then.

I spent around one hour on the phone last night (Monday night) to a senior apple tech support. Wen't through all sorts of troubleshooting and nothing worked, including all the previous advice on this forum to do with etwork settings, safe mode, rebuilding library etc. He called me back and said that printing are aware of the issue and that it is affecting certain macs - although he didnt say which macs and why because I dont think they know.

According to him they hope to have a resolution in 24-48 hours, and I would think they would be onto this fast as they will be losing quite a lot of money. The two copies of the book I was ordering came to $250.

Don't save to a PDF from iphoto as that is meant only for a preview and the quality will not be as good. Just hope that Apple fix this fast. He did suggest trying another mac so I have made a copy of my iphoto library and copied to a friends Macbook Pro. I'm now going to try and do the purchase from there. I will let you know how I go.

Nov 26, 2013 2:58 AM in response to andygoodyear

Thanks, Andy. I'm in regional Victoria, so it's complicated by slower internet connections. I've tried an ethernet lead; if anything, that was a slower, and equally ineffective, upload than the wifi!

I've tried uploading the pdf to prestophoto in eastern USA - but at 30 MB I think bigpond blocks or can't cope. Like you, I've rebuilt the library, been in and out of safe mode, spent most of yesterday on the phone, at one stage with a screen viewer - all to no avail.

I'm inclined to agree with you that the quality will be less. However, if nothing happens soon, I'll probably rebuild in another software program, online in case the upload size is the issue.

Thanks for taking time to help ease the frustration that I've been feeling, thinking that the problem must be mine alone, as all the apple techs to whom I've spoken say that there is no problem.

Do you think taking my MacBook Pro into an Apple store would be of any use in getting my two books off the machine and into their system? I'm going to Melbourne tomorrow.

Nov 27, 2013 1:51 AM in response to andygoodyear

Went into the main Apple Store in Melbourne today. Complete waste of time. The service fellow deals only in hardware and firmware, not the software and, from his previous experience, said it could be one corrupt photo file causing the issues but there's no way of knowing. I rang one of the suburban stores where he thought i might get someone with more expertise; they basically said the same thing: the best advice is to use the phone service and have it escalated to the highest technician.

Hope you're having more luck than me.

iPhoto book won't upload

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.