Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s BUG: no sound, no vibration, works 2 sec after a restart and then stops...

Hi - my iPhone 4s got exchanged 1 month ago for a new one as it was not working properly.

I'm afraid the new one is even worse:

SYMPTOMS: I basically got no sound: I cannot listen to music, cannot hear anyone and people do not hear me if I make a phonecall, vibration doesn't work either (if I move the silent switch no vibration happens, but I see the silent icon changing), and earphones connected to the jack don't output sound either. Basically, the iPhone is 100% mute.

WHAT I TRIED: reset settings, hard reset, full restore, cleaning the dock area - nothing works.

DIAGNOSTIC: After losing hours browsing the web I figured the most common issue is the iPhone is thinking it's docked. I don't think it's the problem as the docking area is super clean (the iPhone is 1 month old). I did try to clean it with compressed air, and I tried to dock it also ... but no luck.

I think it's not hardware but that there is a real stupid bug in IOS. The reason I think this is: when this problem first appeared, a simple turn-off/on of the phone would bring it back to life. But since I reset the settings (on Apple's recommendation, thanks ...) this trick (turn off/on) doesn't work any longer. But - in the current situation, when I shut it off/on, I can make one phonecall (i.e., the microphone and the earphone speaker both work) but then, as soon as the phone attemps to use the music speaker, or if I move the silent switch, it stops working and goes back to being completely mute.

Please make sure to correct this bug in the next IOS update.

Thanks.

Emmanuel

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 4:33 AM

There are no replies.

iPhone 4s BUG: no sound, no vibration, works 2 sec after a restart and then stops...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.