Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retain dates of movies when exporting

Hi everyone,

iPhoto’s Export dialogue does a good job of retaining image dates when the "Original" option is set. But sadly this does not apply to movie files. When I do export an event that contains movies they will get the current date. Of course re-importing them later results in a screwed up sort order. Is there any way of retaining the file’s original date when exporting? I know of the way to show the original, but this is impractical in my case.

Thanks

Björn

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 8:44 AM

No. The dates on the photos are retained in the Exif metadata which records the date and time of the exposure on the camer, so the date on the file is unimportant. However there is no Exif for video.

There are various utilities that you can use to edit the date on a file

22 replies

Nov 23, 2013 9:30 AM in response to Björn Herrmann

You will need a 3rd party application to change the file created date on the file after exporting it out of iPhoto. But that date could change again if the file is copied to another volume and the new copy may be different.

The best solution, IMO, is to rename the video with the date it was taken with a file name something like this: 1961-06-15-Old Toad Skydiving.mov. Change the title to reflect the date and content and export out of iPhoto with Kind = Original and File Name = Title.

OT

Nov 23, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks, I know that and there were quite some situations in the last few years where I wished that videos contained EXIF or something similar. 😐 For a single video here and there I adjust its date using touch. See my hint at http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120821134116586

This is needed mostly when editing videos on the Mac prior to iPhoto import. I also know that I can export iPhoto events not only via the Export menu, but also via File/Show in Finder. Since this takes you directly inside the iPhoto Library bundle you could just copy the files from there using Finder. This retains the file’s creation date, but there’s one not so small problem with this approach:

It only works good for events which had one import process with nothing being added to the event later on. That way all the event’s files are in the same directory. But if the event consists of other events which were combined and/or had several imports with more files being added to it, you’re out of luck. You would need to hunt down all the different locations inside the iPhoto Library bundle which makes it a very tedious process.

That’s why I was hoping for another way to export which has the ease of use of the regular Export menu option while at the same time not altering file creation dates like the Finder method does. I fear I know the answer to that, but maybe someone has an idea how to best accomplish that?

Björn

Nov 23, 2013 11:53 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, I do not want to write to the Library file. I just want to have a copy in a folder on the Desktop for example. This does not damage the Library since I am not moving anything around. But I solved it in the meantime using Aperture. Its export option preserves movie file dates. I will send Apple feedback. It would be nice if iPhoto could do the same.

Björn

Jan 4, 2014 2:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

Yes, Terence is right about that. Just yesterday I accidently used D&D to export an event to the Desktop. It even left out one video (exported 109 of 110 items) and told me afterwards about the item’s path which led to a thumbnail! Right now I just use Aperture for exports. If you do not have that you can use iPhoto’s "Show in Finder" command as I described in my longer post above. With the current version of iPhoto (9.2.1 902.17) this command might open lots of Finder windows if the event has been combined or got photos added to it several times.

Jan 12, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Björn Herrmann

My workaround is to export photos and videos from iPhoto into subdirectories by events. Then I run a perl script https://github.com/brablc/****/blob/master/iphoto-touch-mov-by-prev-image in each dir (using shell), which sets dates to videos according to the closest previous image. If you have an event without photo, then you would have to touch the file yourself using the date of the event (I export events untitled so the subfolders are actually the dates).

Feb 9, 2014 6:37 AM in response to Björn Herrmann

It's a little laborious, but I just went through and grabbed 160 videos out of iPhoto yesterday and was able to keep the original date. Just go into Spotlight and type in the name of the file (this was easiest by first exporting all of the files as orginal so you have all of the file names), looking for the oldest date. Right click and Show in Enclosing Folder. I then copied that into the directory where I did my export, overwriting the file with the date of the export. Probably went through the 160 in less than 30 minutes, and had all of my correct dates!

Aug 8, 2014 6:56 PM in response to Björn Herrmann

I found it annoying as well, so I tried the following (carefully and successfully):

1) Use a smart folder in iPhoto to grab all videos for a given year

2) Export using Original and "add event name" (Probably optional if you want a single big directory)

3) Using Terminal, go to each directory (One per event or one big one)

4) Use a script with touch, where you find the original in your actual Library, and use its date

for i in `ls`; do touch -r "`find ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/Masters/2014 -name $i`" $i; ls -l $i; done

***This was for movies taken in 2014. Would be slower if you ended the search with "Masters".

5) Import into iMovie 9.0.9 (New version ***** <- apologize for honesty) with the "Move" option and any Event you want

6) Delete from iPhoto

Note: probably a good idea to backup your library first...

Aug 24, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Björn Herrmann

Why not just rename the video files with the date taken and a short description before importing into iPhoto. Something like this: XXXX-XX-XX-Brief Description.mov. I do the same for all videos and photos before importing into iPhoto. It looks like this:

User uploaded file

There are numerous file renaming apps that can do the job either singularly or batch change. A little effort up front save a lot of time later on trying to identify files and images.

User uploaded file

Retain dates of movies when exporting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.