Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI to DisplayPort is not working with Mavericks

I have an HDMI to a DisplayPort so that I can hook my MBP to a Dell Monitor.

The monitor is saying it's getting no connection. Unfortunately I do not have another cord to test at the moment. Before I purchase one I wanted to see if it was perhaps a software issue.

I'm not using a mini displayport...I'm using the HDMI out of the MBP to the full-size DisplayPort on the back of the Dell monitor.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 5:49 AM

I found the answer.

You CANNOT connect your Mac laptop to an external monitor using the HMDI output on the laptop to a DisplayPort input on a monitor.

The reason a HDMI to DisplayPort cable exists are for laptops, like Lenovo's, which have a DisplayPort output for you to connect into a HDMI input on a monitor, doesn't work the other way around.

I can't remember the reason why this doesn't work in the former scenario, but I believe it was something along the lines of that cable signal not being bi-directional, therefore only working in one direction...but don't quote me on that 🙂

I had to get a HDMI to DVI to connect my MBP to my Dell Monitor.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2014 5:49 AM in response to whowantscake

I found the answer.

You CANNOT connect your Mac laptop to an external monitor using the HMDI output on the laptop to a DisplayPort input on a monitor.

The reason a HDMI to DisplayPort cable exists are for laptops, like Lenovo's, which have a DisplayPort output for you to connect into a HDMI input on a monitor, doesn't work the other way around.

I can't remember the reason why this doesn't work in the former scenario, but I believe it was something along the lines of that cable signal not being bi-directional, therefore only working in one direction...but don't quote me on that 🙂

I had to get a HDMI to DVI to connect my MBP to my Dell Monitor.

Nov 23, 2013 6:51 AM in response to TheBades

TheBades, the display port on the MBP is what you determine which cable you need. My MBP has the mini display port. Later models have a thunderbolt connector. The port looks almost the same. I would assume that the dell Monitor has an HDMI port and that is what you are connecting to on the Dell monitor. My guess from your signature line is that you need the thunderbolt to HDMI connector. I'm pretty sure that all the Retina display MBPs have thunderbolt connectors.

Jan 15, 2014 6:01 AM in response to Bades

Thanks, Bades.

Definitely a bummer. I've been running two of the Dell displays DVI to DVI with a miniDisplayPort adapter, but was hoping to free up one of those Thunderbolt ports so I can plug in an ethernet adapter. Was worried that I would get different color representation using two different types of ports, but since it's not even possible... oh well.

I appreciate the info. All the best!

Jan 27, 2016 2:28 PM in response to Bades

Thanks for the answer Bades, I've experienced the same thing when trying to connect my Macbook Pro to my Dell U2412M 24" display. I actually purchased two different HDMI to Displayport cables for my Macbook Pro, since I thought the first one was faulty. Of course neither of them will work, which is what brought me to this message thread. At least I can stop wasting money on cables that won't work!

HDMI to DisplayPort is not working with Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.