Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB peripheral prevents boot

So I'm trying to install bootcamp with an iso image on a USB drive. I understand the boot camp process and have completed it before without a USB, but that's the only option available to me now. I have the gray screen problem whenever I try to restart my MBP Retina late 2012 with any non-native peripherals attached - it simply delays at the gray screen until I disconnect the USB and force restart my laptop. You can probably imagine what I'm going to say next.

When trying to install windows through the Boot Camp application, on the step where I restart after partitioning to boot to windows, the USB prevents the computer from getting past the gray screen. If I disconnect and force restart by holding down the power button, a Windows command prompt-esque interface will come up that says "No bootable disk - insert bootable disk and press any key" or something along those lines. It's clear the start up disk is windows, and it will continue to boot to that screen unless I option key-out of it on a restart. If I try connecting my USB once the command prompt screen has come up, it simply won't read it. I've left it in for about 5 minutes and tried basically every key to try to get it to work, to no avail.

I'm wondering if there's any way to fix this issue or work around and install windows with a USB still. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 12:07 PM

3 replies

Nov 23, 2013 12:39 PM in response to DWFman

Yes, that was a problem I had when I had Windows 7 installed. The problem persists when trying to load the Mac OS too, acutally. The peripheral USB is preventing your computer from starting, and will every time whether you're trying to boot your windows or mac operating system (I'm speaking from my own experience). My issue is that this problem is happening when I need to boot with a USB installed and it's preventing me from doing so.

USB peripheral prevents boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.