Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Early 2011 WiFi unstable connections

I have been having issues in trying to stay connected to my WiFi network using my MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 Version on Mavericks 10.8. I will have connection for anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes, sometimes less then that, and then it will just lose connection. It wont come back on until I either reselect the WiFi connection and possibly enter the password again, or I just turn it off and then on again to have it autoconnect. I have not had a single issue with my LG Nexus 5 phone that has been on the same network without a single dropped connection. I need to see if there is a fix for this as I need to have a stable connection for my school work as all of it is me having to turn in assignments online. Has anyone else had this issue or ever heard of it?

MacBook Pro, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 5:12 PM

8 replies

Nov 23, 2013 5:14 PM in response to AlRobidoux

Try the basics first:

Change your router channel number. Most times this works & is all you have to do.

Disconnect & reconnect your modem. unplug it for about 10 seconds. Plug it back in. Do the same for Apple’s routers. Wait for everything to reboot.

System Preferences>Network

Click the Assist Me button.

In the next window that pops up, click the Diagnostic button & do the necessary.

Research Knowledge Base for network problems that pertain to the OS that is currently installed on your computer. See these basic networking KB Articles: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1401 AirPort troubleshooting guide

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4628
Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712 Using network locations in Mac OS X

Manually provided DNS server addresses are higher priority than DHCP's

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1714 Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting

============================

What to do when you can't connect to the Internet

Also, run the Airport Utility app which is located inside the Utilities folder.

=====================

If using a Linksys router, contact LinkSys Customer Support and/or post in their forums.

If using Apple's Airport, please re-post over in one of the AirPort Forums.

User uploaded file

Nov 23, 2013 5:34 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Thanks for the assist, however it has nothing to do with the status of the router or the modem as there is a phone that is connected to the network and has been all day long without a single dropped connection while my MacBook Pro has been dropping connections left and right. I have tried to do a wireless diagnostic and am currently waiting on it to do the report so I can see what it says the issue is. Will post it when I get it. And a side note, as I write this, I have had the wifi drop twice in a matter of 30 seconds.

Nov 23, 2013 5:44 PM in response to AlRobidoux

AlRobidoux wrote:

Thanks for the assist, however it has nothing to do with the status of the router or the modem as there is a phone that is connected to the network and has been all day long without a single dropped connection while my MacBook Pro has been dropping connections left and right. I have tried to do a wireless diagnostic and am currently waiting on it to do the report so I can see what it says the issue is. Will post it when I get it. And a side note, as I write this, I have had the wifi drop twice in a matter of 30 seconds.

Doesn't mean a thing. If a channel is "crowded," expect dropped or no connection. Anywho, you do what you deem best. I'm just offering suggestions.

User uploaded file

Nov 23, 2013 5:52 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

And I do appreciate the help, as I stated in my last reply, however; I fail to see how just two internet devices can "crowd" a channel on a router that is passworded from people outside of my place from "piggybacking" and there really is no reason to mess with the channels of the router. Also, normally if a channel is "crowded" then it would be giving connection issues to every device on the network.

I am not looking for a suggestion to mess with the router settings when it is working on the other device that is connected to it. Router channels should be able to handle more traffic then just one device.

Jan 11, 2014 4:24 PM in response to AlRobidoux

Baby Boomer, you may be right in certain instances but in AIRobidoux instance, you are 100% wrong. I have been suffering from the same exact problem as her. I tested it out today using my girlfriend's 2010 MacBook side by side with my early-2011 MBP. My wifi connection keeps dropping while hers goes strong the whole time. It has nothing to do with the router.

I took my MBP into Apple to see about this and a hardware issue. They did diagnostics and did not find anything. I know there is something definitely wrong with my computer because 1) other people are experiencing the same thing, and 2) my girlfriend's MacBook stays connected all the time.

Please someone help!

May 9, 2015 12:08 PM in response to drmmrboy

It's been over a year since this thread's last reply and my macbook pro early 2011 is still experiencing Wifi connectivity problems. I have had to resort to using ethernet, but sometimes my computer won't even start up. Since experiencing these problems, I have purchased a Macbook Pro 15" retina display and haven't experienced any problems at all. Although I have a newer model, I still have uses for my 2011 macbook pro and it has been rendered useless due to its inability to start up (it only starts up when connected to wifi, ethernet doesn't do the trick). I appreciate all help, thanks!

MacBook Pro Early 2011 WiFi unstable connections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.