Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have lost all my contacts after an upgrade?

I know I have all my contacts in the cloud but I have not an idea how to put them back onto my iPhone 4S! I managed to get SOME back by syncing but there's loads missing, including some quite vital clinic direct numbers (I have MS and hate going through swivhboards!)please, if you can help, tell me how to do it as if I was a 5 year old! I need easy and succinct instructions, PLEASE HELP!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4, Help! I'm desperate

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 5:47 PM

10 replies

Nov 23, 2013 5:52 PM in response to Johjoh23

If you have logged into icloud.com using a computer's browser and found all your contacts, then it should be easy to get them back. On the device, go to Settings>icloud and turn off contacts. Later turn them on again, that should download the contacts. If it doesn't work, then on the same icloud screen, scroll to the bottom and tap Delete Account. Then log in again.

If on the other hand, icloud.com is missing most of the contacts, then you'll have to rely on an icloud backup to restore from. It's a bit tricky if you have backups turned on,

Read this link, it covers how to recover from lost contacts from an icloud backup.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4841

Nov 23, 2013 6:57 PM in response to Johjoh23

I said I was dumb! I don't even know how to log into iCloud, then where to find the contacts therin, I really do need this explained to me in baby steps! I know I've turned on contact back up in iCloud on the phone but I backup via computer? I really don't have a single idea how to do this! I've tried settings>cloud> delete contacts then turn contacts back on but there's still loads missing and I'm panicking! There's really vital numbers lost! Help help help! I won't get offended if you can please walk me through it like a toddler! Why does the phone DO this? It was fine , I didn't touch it, then all of a sudden boom, no contacts! I'm very close to tears here, I have spent months/years getting these numbers and they're GONE! Why? Really is important for me, I've actually lost the email and phone details of trial I'm supposed to apply to go on in US and I'm frantic!

Nov 23, 2013 7:06 PM in response to Johjoh23

If you didn't do anything and you contacts just disappeared you should contact Apple and ask for assistance. Unless your phone is fairly new or you paid for AppleCare extended support there will be a charge for the call, but under the circumstances it's probably worth it. You can reach them here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57.

You're other option would be to make an appointment with the Genius Bar at a nearby Apple store if you have one.

Nov 24, 2013 7:54 AM in response to Johjoh23

Johjoh23 wrote:

What's my iCloud iD?

Your iCloud ID is the email address shown when you tap Settings, then tap iCloud and look to the right of "Account" at the top of the screen.

And when I click contacts all it does is give me a list of contacts

I thought you said you were looking for your contacts because they were lost. If you want to look at something else, click that instead. For example, to read your iCloud email, click the "Mail" icon to the left of Contacts.

I have lost all my contacts after an upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.