Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I sync my iPad and iPhone to be the same

How can I sync my iPad to my iPhone 5S?

iPad, iOS 7.0.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 9:21 AM

The answers are not what I read from the question.

Clone would be the word I would have used to ask. Or, how can I merge my iPhone and iPad? Not just the documents, mail, notes, etc.

when I use my iPhone I want to pick up my iPad with all the same apps and thoughts I was using on the phone.

Anyone?

Ch

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2017 9:21 AM in response to toula21

The answers are not what I read from the question.

Clone would be the word I would have used to ask. Or, how can I merge my iPhone and iPad? Not just the documents, mail, notes, etc.

when I use my iPhone I want to pick up my iPad with all the same apps and thoughts I was using on the phone.

Anyone?

Ch

Nov 23, 2013 6:45 PM in response to toula21

I'm assuming by "sync" you mean syncing calendars, contacts, things like that -

Get an Apple ID.

Create an icloud acount using that ID.

Settings>icloud, log in using the ID and password.

On the same screen, turn on the services (e.g. contacts) you want synced.

To create a new Apple ID:

https://appleid.apple.com

To create a new icloud account, go to

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

Nov 23, 2013 6:49 PM in response to toula21

toula21 wrote:

How can I sync my iPad to my iPhone 5S?

What does that mean? You cannot sync two iOS devices with each other. What is it exactly that you want to do or achieve?

If you want to keep downloads in sync, go to Settings>iTunes & App Stores>Automatic Downloads>Apps, books, songs>On. If you want to keep contacts, reminders, notes, Safari bookmarks, and Photos in sync, you do that with an iCloud account and enable it on both devices.

if you want the devices to be identical in content, that will take a bit of work and require restoring from the backup of the one device to the other one depending on which device was the last one that you used.

So, what are you trying to do?

Nov 24, 2013 5:35 AM in response to toula21

Setting up an iCloud account on your devices is very easy. After you set up the account, you can turn on syncing of Mail, Notes, Reminders, Safari bookmarks, Contacts, Calendar and the Photo Stream. If you want to keep notes in sync, you will have to create an iCloud email account. You do not have to use iCloud email if you dont want to, but that is the only way to keep notes in sync, unless you have an IMAP email account that does that for you.

Here is some very worthwhile reading.

Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

Creating an iCloud account: Frequently Asked Questions

If you want the two devices to be identical, you will have to backup the one device and then restore the other device from the backup of the first device. Both devices should be running the same iOS. You cannot restore an older iOS device from a newer iOS backup. In other words, if you run iOS 7.0.4 on the phone and you want to restore the iPad from the phone backup, the iPad must be running iOS 7.0.4 as well. If the iPad is running iOS 6, it will not work.

You should find this helpful as well.

iOS: Transferring information from your current iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to a new device.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

May 31, 2016 5:41 AM in response to toula21

The thought of seamless integration had me conned.

None of this works. I have an iphone but it won't restore to the new ipad except contacts either by itunes or icloud. Everything else is just blank. Email, calendars, photos, messages.

It took nearly five hours to get the ipad working and now I still have to fiddle about with it.

Best thing is not to shout about how great syncing and integration is when it doesn't really work.

Fed up with having to go round in circles and get nowhere.

Jul 29, 2016 10:12 AM in response to chas1917

You are absolutely right. None of this works as advertised. The worst part is to seek an answer to "Wi-Fi syncing with iTunes", follow multiple steps, then be told that syncing will be available when (your computer's name) is available. All the while, the iDevice is physically connected to (your computer's name) and running iTunes. It just doesn't compute. :-/

how can I sync my iPad and iPhone to be the same

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.