8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2013 10:01 AM by Tannor.O
Tannor.O Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

So if I buy a Iphone from ebay, I can just take the sim card out and use that Iphone as a Ipod touch? And where is the sim card located on the Iphone?

iPhone 4S
  • ChrisJ4203 Level 8 Level 8 (36,880 points)

The phone will have to be activated first before you can use it like an iPod Touch. See this support document for instructions. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

• Tannor.O Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

What about if my friend gives me his old one thats already been activated? And what if its unlocked from ebay?

• Lawrence Finch Level 7 Level 7 (30,310 points)

You friend should have erased the phone, and any phone you buy on eBay should have been erased before you got it. If it wasn't you will have problems using the phone for anything, because Activation Lock will prevent it being used by anyone other than the rightful owner. Once it is erased it will have to be reactivated, and will need a SIM card for activation. It does not have to be a working SIM, just one from the carrier the phone was originally locked to. If it's unlocked from eBay be sure it was unlocked legitimately, not by hacking or jailbreaking. A hacked phone will relock when you try to activate it.

So factory unlocked?

Are you saying the phone is factory unlocked, or asking? There is actually no such thing as "factory unlocked". If you buy a phone for full price from Apple as Unlocked it will be unlocked. Apple never calls it "factory unlocked". If you buy it from a carrier, or from Apple and pay a subsidized price, it will be locked to a carrier. After you have met your contractual commitment to the carrier SOME carrier's will unlock the phone. This is "carrier unlocked".

A lot of people who sell "factory unlocked" phones actually hacked the phone to unlock it in the "factory" at the back of their store. This variety of factory unlocked phones will become iBricks the first time you restore or upgrade them.

Locked or unlocked has nothing to do with Activation Lock, however. Activation Lock associates the phone with an Apple ID in Apple's master database. Any time the phone is restored or upgraded iTunes will check the database, and require entry of the password associated with that Apple ID. If you don't have the password the phone will not work. Ever. Unless the owner of that Apple ID releases the lock.

Ok, so what would you reccomend that I do? If I get it from my friend, what should he do?

This is what your friend should do: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5661

Ok, thank you. Happy Thanksgiving!!