Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix: "Thanks for installing. Once installation is complete please restart your browser to watch this movie."

I am having the same problem as many others who use Safari for streaming Netflix movies do, and tried all the same supposed solutions as mentioned on various Apple Support Community Discussion Forums: dumping the plug-in from the library.. etc, etc. Incompatibilty between Netflix's 'Silverlight' movie plugin and Safari continues to block my ability to stream movies. A call to Netflix confirmed: they perceive Safari as the most incompatible of all browsers to work with Microsoft's "Silverlight" plugin, and a fix from their end seems far off.

So here we are: three companies with none of them showing any interest in fixing the other's glitch- Apple who competes against Microsoft and does not seem to prioritize solving a conflict with an old, outdated, MS app that nevertheless needs to work on Apple products. Microsoft- the reason Apple hit it big in the first place- seems to act in the same manner, and now Netflix, who built its streaming movie platform on yesteryear's Microsoft product...No one seems to care. A classic situation reminiscent of a stateless person seeking residency.

Where can I turn for a fix? I checked YouTube, this discussion forum, Googled my afternoon away and ... nothing.

I know one answer some have successfully tried: kill Safari as browser for Netflix streams and go to Chrome.

Should I do the same, or has anyone come up with a trick to fool that stupid Microsoft plugin to cooperate with Safari 6.1?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 1:11 AM

11 replies

Nov 24, 2013 1:39 PM in response to PeterPaller

So, are we giving up on Safari as the preferred browser for Macs?

No, we're giving up on Safari as the browser for Netflix, since it doesn't seem to be working for you.

What does Firefox do right that Safari can't?

Work with Microsoft Silverlight and Netflix, perhaps.

Is re-coding Safari too low a priority for Apple's engineers these days?

I don't know. Is re-coding Silverlight too low a priority for Microsoft's engineers these days? I would say that it is:

Microsoft kills Silverlight and other plug-ins in Windows 8

Feb 12, 2014 8:17 PM in response to PeterPaller

Here's how I fixed this problem in Mavericks:

1. Make sure you download and install the current version of Silverlight from Microsoft
    http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx
  2. Go to Safari -> Preferences, then click on Security.
  3. Make sure "Allow Plugins" is checked.
  4. Click the "Manage Website Settings..." button.
  5. Scroll down and click "Silverlight" in the left sidebar. If you have tried to visit Netflix, it should show up in the list of currently open sites. Make sure it is set for "Allow Always" for Netflix.
  6. You may want to set "When visiting other websites" to "Allow Always" if Netfix is not in the list of allowed sites.
  7. For competeness, restart Safari, then go enjoy Netflix.

For me, it seems that Safari didn't ask to use Silverlight, even though it was set to "Ask" for Netflix. The steps above should allow Silverlight to automatically run.

I'm watching Netflix now after following these steps. Hope this is helpful for everyone else.

Aug 13, 2015 7:29 PM in response to Woode

WOODE !!!!!!!!!!
After months of no results, I read your "fix it" and Whah-Lah.

Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks ThanksThanks Thanks Thanks Thanks ThanksThanks Thanks

Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks ThanksThanks Thanks Thanks Thanks ThanksThanks Thanks

Netflix: "Thanks for installing. Once installation is complete please restart your browser to watch this movie."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.