Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 screen displays white color inconsistently

Couple months ago I started noticing that when displaying white color, my iPhone 5 is showing a much "cleaner" whites towards the edges as opposed to the majority of the screen, which gets a magenta tone added to it. Initially I could almost ignore it, but it has started to worry me lately as it bacame more noticeable.

I've tried taking a picture, but it was really hard to show the effect. I think the following image would demonstrate the issue in a better way:

User uploaded file

The actual problem is not that severe as displayed above, and it only affects pure whites (grays look fine). Basically, a certain distance from the edge of the screen is much whiter than the majority of the screen, which is reddish. This issue is persistent accross applications / white boot-up screen. I've removed the screen protector to make sure it wasn't causing the effect.

Has anyone faced the same issue and what would be the best solution? Does this make a case for product replacement? My iPhone 5 is still under warranty.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

devitus

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 5:30 AM

4 replies

Dec 11, 2013 11:16 PM in response to devitus

I noticed the exact same effect on my iPhone 5 about a week after iOS 7 dropped. It is subtle, but definitely noticeable on a mostly white screen and your illustration shows exactly what it looks like. Unfortunately, I have no idea what caused it or how to fix it. Now that I know another iPhone 5 has the same issue, I wonder if it is a hardware issue. Did you see the effect before iOS 7?

Dec 12, 2013 12:33 AM in response to elevenacious

Hi, elevenacious,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, indeed I only started noticing this after updating to iOS7. I've looked at a friends phone, and he has the same issue (only less noticeable), and he never paid attention to it. But this is one of the things that once you see, you cannot unsee, or maybe it's getting worse.

There're a few discussions regarding this I've managed to find:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1644995

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1586346

Seems like and LCD defect, even though majority of people point out to occurrence only after iOS 7 update. Nevertheless, most got their devices replaced on the grounds of this problem. This is what I plan to do before the warranty expires.

Hope that this will help you as well!

iPhone 5 screen displays white color inconsistently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.