Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera not working and light blinking after upgrade

After upgrading to Mavericks, the built-in camera on my MacBook Air (mid-2013) has stopped working in all applications. When I start an application that uses the camera, the image does not appear, and the camera light blinks rapidly until I close the application. Console shows the following messages:

11/24/13 11:34:08.000 a.m. kernel[0]: AppleCamIn::power_off_hardware

11/24/13 11:34:08.000 a.m. kernel[0]: AppleCamIn::power_on_hardware

11/24/13 11:34:09.000 a.m. kernel[0]: ISPCPU: ERR: ./H4ISPCD/filters/IC/CImageCaptureH4FSM.cpp, 452: FlowIC00: MIPI error (interrupt source = 0x8)

11/24/13 11:34:09.000 a.m. kernel[0]: ISPCPU: ERR: ./H4ISPCD/filters/IC/CImageCaptureH4.cpp, 2503: FlowIC00: Perform error recovery (1).

The latter two messages repeat until I close the application.

This is not the same problem as the Skype camera issue that was resolved with a previous update. I have tried resetting the NVRAM and PMU, reinstalling Mavericks, and using the guest account.

This user has the same issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5541264?answerId=23721483022#23721483022

Any help would be greatly appreciated — I would really like to have my camera working!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 9:45 AM

10 replies

Nov 26, 2013 9:32 AM in response to grmurchison

Hello grmurchison,

Thank you for providing the details of the issue you are experiencing with your built-in iSight camera. You have taken some really great steps to isolate and troubleshoot the issue. I found an article with a couple of additional steps (you can skip the steps you have already taken):

Built-in iSight cameras

These steps are for iSight cameras that are built into a computer, such as the iMac G5 (iSight) or later, the MacBook, or MacBook Pro.

1. See if the issue is application-specific.
    Try another application (iSight works with applications like iChat, PhotoBooth, and iMovie HD 6) to see if the iSight camera exhibits the same behavior in all applications. If it only happens in one application, try reinstalling that application.
  2. See if the issue is user-specific.
    Test your iSight camera in another user account. If the issue only occurs in one user, the issue would be isolated to user settings.
  3. Find out if the computer recognizes the iSight
    Check System Profiler (in the Utilities folder, inside the Applications folder). Under the USB header, check to see if the iSight camera is detected.
  4. Reset SMC or PMU
    Reset your computer's SMC or PMU, and then check System Profiler again. (SMC reset instructions for iMac G5 (iSight), Intel-based iMacs; PMU reset instructions for MacBook and MacBook Pro.)

If your built-in iSight camera is still not behaving correctly after trying all these steps, you may need to contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service.

How to Troubleshoot iSight

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2090

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Jan 20, 2014 6:56 PM in response to sheila_m.

Did everything you suggested..sadly no luck. With TechTool Pro 7, there is a test for the built in ICam, when tested by Techtool Pro7, the camera works and I see images from my internal cam. When I exit techtool Pro, the programs that are supposed to work ,Photo Booth, ICHat Video, etc. all I get is a black screen with a spinning icon..and the screen never shows images. The Icam is on as the green light is on..but somehow does not get the images to the application and onto the screen.

NOthing so far from Apple about this other than a couple of these 'fixes' listed as you listed them. And of course for myself, and others I have read, these do not fix the issue.

Now about contacting Apple Support, I am out of warranty so that is $50 per session, and I imagine they will tell me to do what you listed but for free.

Is seems like, the adage should apply' You break it, you buy it".

SO APPLE, What about it' YOU BROKE IT, Don't make me pay to fix it'!

If you hear of any other fixes that work for the rest of us, please post,,Iuse 'Witness' as a security device on my Immac in my Studio. It relies on the Internal cam.. Obviously, It doesn't work now so I have a service I paid for, and now, thanks to Mavericks, my $$$ are wasted.😟

May 27, 2015 11:00 AM in response to grmurchison

I'm having exactly this issue too with 10.10.3 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). Intermittent periods of the camera turning on and off rapidly, regardless of application or user.

My console messages are the same:

5/27/15 10:46:56.000 AM kernel[0]: ISPCPU: ERR: ./H4ISPCD/filters/IC/CImageCaptureH4FSM.cpp, 449: FlowIC00: MIPI error (interrupt source = 0x8)

This seems like a kernel bug or a hardware failure. Hopefully, it's a kernel bug and Apple fixes it. Personally, I've only started seeing it after upgrading to Yosemite. I didn't see it with Mavericks.

Sep 17, 2015 4:08 PM in response to grmurchison

Hello

I had a same problem with my Macbook Air 13" . FaceTime HD camera won't work in any app, just blinking green light and black window instead of a video.

I tried to Reset SMC or PMU and it does not help me at all. Than I go to System Report > Camera it shows Model ID and Unique ID of my camera.

That's mean I have FaceTime camera in my system and it is recognized. I start thinking that I have camera hardware issue because nothing helped and I give up on it.

But couple days ago I give it another try by going to iFixit.com and see how and where camera cable connects to logic board of my Macbook Air. They have very good Guides with pictures. I disconnect my FaceTime camera cable and reconnected back to logic board, put everything back as it was.

This fix my FaceTime camera and I hope it will help you to.

Camera not working and light blinking after upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.