Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems importing cd's

I have two problems importing CD's. First, I have Windows 7(64bit) nd the latest iTunes. When importing CD's, the first song is imported but iTunes generates an error message on the second and any subsequent songs. I imported the CD using Windows Media player. No problem. But when I opened the album in iTunes , the program converted the wma format to the iTunes format but did so that every song appeared as an separate album. 1) How do I fix the itumes importing problem and 2) how do I consolidate the imported songs into one album?

Windows 7

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 11:19 AM

Hello bjb57,

Thank you for the details of the issues you are experiencing with importing CDs to iTunes.

First, I recommend reviewing the following article when you are receiving an error when trying to add music to iTunes:

Trouble adding music to iTunes library or importing audio CD

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1387

Additionally, I also think it is important to to keep songs from an album together.

There are three reasons why songs from the same album may not be grouped together

• The album names of the songs may differ slightly
  • The songs from the same album may have different artists
  • Not all songs in the album have the same "Album Artist" assigned to it

I recommend reviewing the following article for consolidating the albums:

Why aren't songs with the same album art grouped together?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1468

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2013 11:19 AM in response to bjb57

Hello bjb57,

Thank you for the details of the issues you are experiencing with importing CDs to iTunes.

First, I recommend reviewing the following article when you are receiving an error when trying to add music to iTunes:

Trouble adding music to iTunes library or importing audio CD

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1387

Additionally, I also think it is important to to keep songs from an album together.

There are three reasons why songs from the same album may not be grouped together

• The album names of the songs may differ slightly
  • The songs from the same album may have different artists
  • Not all songs in the album have the same "Album Artist" assigned to it

I recommend reviewing the following article for consolidating the albums:

Why aren't songs with the same album art grouped together?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1468

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Nov 26, 2013 5:17 PM in response to bjb57

I imported the CD using Windows Media player. No problem. But when I opened the album in iTunes , the program converted the wma format to the iTunes format but did so that every song appeared as an separate album. 1) How do I fix the itumes importing problem

This is almost 2014, and nobody uses WMA anymore. Set the Windows Media Player "Rip Settings" for MP3, and rerip the CD. Add the MP3s to your iTunes library.

If any of the the track information is not correct, right-click the track in iTunes, Get Info, go to the Info tab, and type in the correct information.

Dec 2, 2013 7:17 AM in response to bjb57

Thanks to all who replied to my problem. The solutions solved part (Q2) of my problem. But I still can not import songs directly from iTunes. Importing from Windows Media Player and then converting works but should not be necessary. there is something wrong in iTunes. It doesn't even recognize when a CD is inserted; also, iTunes will not eject the CD. I am thinking that it might be necessary to delete iTunes and then re-install it. Any suggestions?

Dec 14, 2013 2:41 PM in response to turingtest2

Did repair---did not solve problem. Removed iTunes and cleaned registry and rebooted and the installed iTunes. Got error notice that cd handlers not found and said that could happen due other cd burner apps sugessted to reinstall/repair iTunes. Did that. Inserting DC brought up windows screen saking to import, etc. Chose import,iTunes loaded and tried to import CD but got error notice that said an unknown error occurred. Tried to eject CD using iTunes and got notice that iTunes could not eject because another program was using CD. Does any one have an idea as to how to fix this situation?

P.S. Still could import using Windows Media Player.

Dec 14, 2013 5:53 PM in response to bjb57

bjb57 wrote:

Does any one have an idea as to how to fix this situation?

Not really. 😕

See Getting iTunes & Windows Media Player to play nicely for tips on sharing the iTunes library with WMP. Get WMP to rip in an iTunes compatible format and then add to iTunes. Still an extra step but it is a better workaround than converting from WMA.

tt2

Dec 14, 2013 5:56 PM in response to bjb57

Importing from Windows Media Player and then converting works but should not be necessary.

As previously mentioned, converting is not necessary. Change your Rip Setting to MP3, a format that works fine in iTunes without conversion.

In WMP 12, this can be done at Tools > Options > Rip Music, and set the "Format" to "MP3."

After ripping, simply add the resulting MP3s to your iTunes library.

problems importing cd's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.