Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'No date' files in Open file dialog window

It is annoying to open recent created/modified files/folders. They are dated as 'no dated'.

This does not happen browsing files/folders in Finder.

This snapshot was taken on Nov 24 and "Today" contains Nov 17 files

User uploaded file

And here 'No Date' files at bottom of the popup window

User uploaded file

Thank you

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 6:11 AM

Same problem here. Very annoying indeed!

15 replies

Nov 28, 2013 6:30 AM in response to Daniel Stonek

In the Finder Toolbar (top of the window), you'll see the Arrange icon:

User uploaded file

(If you don't see this icon, control-click in the Toolbar, choose Customize Toolbar, and add the Arrange icon to your Finder Toolbar.)

When you click on that, you have a choice of how you'd like items in the open folder to be arranged. If you option-click on that, you have the choice of how you'd like the arranged icons to be sorted. Depending on the Arrange-Sort combination you've selected, No Date becomes a part of the mix. Play with the Arrange and Sort possibilities to list your files more to your liking.

Nov 28, 2013 7:21 AM in response to Tuttle

I always use the arrange button (or View -> Arrange in Finder)

No Date becomes a part of the mix.

I select Arrange by Modified Date, you can see my first sample 'Today' files dated (modified) one week later!!

This does not make sense.
In the second sample, several 'No date' file with a date.

What does 'No Date' mean?

All regular files have a created, modified, added and last opened date !!

The solution to get the files sorted by Modified Date is to not select Arrange by Modified Date and then sort with the top bar as usual.

Sort works fine, arrange does not.

Apr 7, 2014 9:41 AM in response to Daniel Stonek

Really sorry to bump this, I have been searching for resolutions to this issue and I haven't yet found one.

Does any one know if this is going to get fixed? Has anyone official commented on this? Do we know if they're going to bother fixing it in Mavericks?

It's highly annoying.

I'm working with files with very similar names. It takes me several times longer to find files that I need and there's a great margin of error.

I'm actually seriously considering ditching Macericks and installing Windows where, despite its own faults, does at least manage to sort files by modified date correctly!

Jan 5, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Daniel Stonek

Just to clarify: the original poster (and I!) are saying that when you DO sort the list by Date Modified, it mostly works, but you can see files grouped under the "No Date" heading at the very end of the list, even when the items grouped in that section are clearly showing an actual Date Modified in the Date Modified column. In other words, this is a bug.

Oct 27, 2015 4:22 PM in response to Daniel Stonek

Well, after two years, after upgrading to Yosemite, after upgrading to El Capitan, NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

I still am getting the same problem in Open File dialog, still NO DATE files (recently saved) at bottom of the list.

Just to clarify: it is not an order or arrange problem. There's no way to sort/arrange files by date if the system finds they have NO DATE.

2 years - 1 month = 23 months

'No date' files in Open file dialog window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.