Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks email groups

One of my email groups ("kids") stopped working with Mavericks. When I type in the group "kids", nothing happens.

Is anyone else having this problem?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 12:23 PM

8 replies

Dec 4, 2013 9:34 AM in response to John McIntosh3

I have the same problem with one of my groups since moving to 10.9 Mavericks; if I enter a group's name in an email, it doesn't auto-fill the addresses from Contacts. However, if I right-click the group in Contacts and select "send email to ____" then it works fine. Why is Mail not communicating correctly for only some groups in Contacts? The type of group is the same in my case; these are not "smart groups". Perplexing and frustrating.

Dec 5, 2013 9:51 AM in response to cheyne15

Interesting! Thanks! Even in the "To:" field, if I put an extra space after the name of the group (even having to hit spacebar twice since it automatically backtracks the cursor after I hit it once) then hit Enter it does auto-fill! Weird bug!!! However, I have to do it each time or it fails, but again only for this group, not some others. So odd and glitchy...

Feb 4, 2014 6:30 AM in response to John McIntosh3

I have had two problems sending to groups since upgrading to Mavericks and Mail 7.1:

First it is difficult to get the group name to appear in the To: box. Second, when I was able to get the group name to appear, it would expand to show all addresses even though this was not the option set in preferences. Both problems can be solved by doing the following:

1. Type beginning of group name (EM..) in the "To:" box.
  2. Click once on the full group name that appears in the pop-up list below. Wait for the full group name to appear in the To: box. This may take several seconds for a long list.
  3. Set the cursor after the group name and click once. Then hit return. The group name will now appear in a blue-gray oval. If "When sending to a group, show all member addresses" is checked in preferences, all of the group members' addresses will appear in blue-gray ovals. In either case, the email will be sent to all group members.

Mavericks email groups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.