Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rookie Question: Transcoded "High Quality Media"

I typically use highly compressed video for my source media (typically 10 Mbps video with a .m4v extension). When I import this media into a FCP event (reference, not copy), FCP automatically transcodes the video in to a .MOV file (about 10 times the original file size) and places it in the "Transcoded Media --> High Quality Media" Folder.

Is this step really needed? If not, is there a way I can avoid this transcode? If it is needed (or preferable), can I safely delete the large MOV files after I finish editing? Can I then easily re-create them if I need to make further edits?

Thanks for any info on this.

Dave

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 4:00 PM

David Strait wrote:

Is this step really needed? If not, is there a way I can avoid this transcode? If it is needed (or preferable), can I safely delete the large MOV files after I finish editing? Can I then easily re-create them if I need to make further edits?

It's beneficial and will make your editing exerience easier.. But you can pass on optimizing if you insist by making choices in the import dialogue window.

You can delete the Pro Res files after finishing projects.

They can be re-created easily.

Russ

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2013 4:00 PM in response to David Strait

David Strait wrote:

It's beneficial and will make your editing exerience easier.. But you can pass on optimizing if you insist by making choices in the import dialogue window.

You can delete the Pro Res files after finishing projects.

They can be re-created easily.

Russ

Rookie Question: Transcoded "High Quality Media"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.